Notices

Why is alcohol so much harder to quit?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is alcohol so much harder to quit?

I used to have a dependency/addiction to speed which I eventually managed to overcome. Other than a brief period of crack/cocaine use which I also didn't let get the better of me, I overcame it and never looked back. Alcohol seems so much more difficult. I know for me, it's at least in part due to availability.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have to change the way you think.

Jason Vale book helped me do this plus another book called alcohol lied to me. Really explains that you are giving up nothing, helped me see this anyway.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Alcohol is my vice too. I have smoked pot in the past and it does nothing to hook me. I can take it or leave it. I have went years with no desire to smoke it and if I do have no desire to do it again anytime soon.

There is a lot of information and support here.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The disease is progressive, maybe that's why it's harder to quit, because you kept drinking. If you had continued to do coke/speed, you may have found it harder to quit now.

I had a coke problem about 11 years ago, but I was able to quit pretty easily. But I also continued to drink heavily, so I was basically using alcohol to get off coke. If I had quit it all at once, I imagine it would have been pretty hard.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it is because it is so socially acceptable. It is a huge part of our culture and always has been.

Drugs on the other hand are frowned upon by society, and people go to prison for selling and possesing them. So mentally, it is easier to quit drugs than alcohol.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also, I think if you listen any serious drug addict, they will tell you drugs are not easier to kick, and in some cases probably harder.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 May 2013

I thought giving up alcohol would be easier than smoking or doing drugs. I was wrong, I realise, after numerous attempts to give it up. Plus relapsing meant I would go back to it harder every time.

This is I think my first attempt to take alcohol dependence so seriously. every other time I thought it would be easy. This time, I think I realise just what a cruel enemy I'm taking on, and I will try my hardest not to let my guard down.

I wish you luck and fortitude in your endeavour.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me it was exactly the opposite. Giving up drinking was easy, but crack was much harder. I never think "God, I need a drink." But at times I do think about using again.

I think it may just be a matter of what you got addicted to. I never was much of a drinker, so it never got to that bad place.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
The disease is progressive, maybe that's why it's harder to quit, because you kept drinking. If you had continued to do coke/speed, you may have found it harder to quit now.

I had a coke problem about 11 years ago, but I was able to quit pretty easily. But I also continued to drink heavily, so I was basically using alcohol to get off coke. If I had quit it all at once, I imagine it would have been pretty hard.
That's pretty much me. I used alcohol to get through the other stuff, which ultimately did me (arguably) no favours. After quitting everything I began to drink more. I never touched spirits/liquor until I stopped doing the speed and coke.

DirtyRiverMan, I think you're right too. It's the socially acceptable side of alcohol that makes it seem "normal" to do it and to do it to excess.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
For me it was exactly the opposite. Giving up drinking was easy, but crack was much harder. I never think "God, I need a drink." But at times I do think about using again.

I think it may just be a matter of what you got addicted to. I never was much of a drinker, so it never got to that bad place.
I'm sure that's true too. Just down to personal tastes.