Notices

Depression

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope for change

Depression

I stopped drinking 16 days ago. Since I wasnt a daily drinker just more of a binger who couldn't control them self, I wasn't prepared for experiencing any kind of depressed feelings . Just the past week I have been a mess, just feeling like I don't want to do anything. Is this normal for someone who wasn't a frequent or daily drinker ? It's not like I'm dying for a drink and that's all I think about , I honestly don't want anything... Food, water, friends.... Everything just feels really bland... Except for coffee lol. Can anyone relate ?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a depressant and used in any quantity it lowers your Serotonin level. If you drink daily or binge drink, it effects the chemical balance in the brain. What you are feeling is normal and will in time get better. Look into taking a good multi-vitamin and try to eat a healthy diet. Alcohol is a toxin that effects many organs in your body but they can heal with time.

Good health and happiness is in your future! Keep posting.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I can totally relate and I didn't understand it either. I had to use AA, friends, meds, and therapy.....bottom line, don't try to do it alone.

I can tell you, it WILL get better. It just takes a while. Don't give up before it happens.

Congrats on your 16 days. That's wonderful!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am on 9 days, but know what you are feeling. For me I drank so I didn’t feel. Now I have to deal with all of these emotions. A friend told me that feeling angery, sad, depressed, or whatever is normal. He said it means you are alive and that is a good thing.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it is part of the process, so try to hang in there.

If the depression doesn't begin to clear up, do talk to your dr.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sometime View Post
I stopped drinking 16 days ago. Since I wasn't a daily drinker just more of a binge who couldn't control them self, I wasn't prepared for experiencing any kind of depressed feelings . Just the past week I have been a mess, just feeling like I don't want to do anything. Is this normal for someone who wasn't a frequent or daily drinker ? It's not like I'm dying for a drink and that's all I think about , I honestly don't want anything... Food, water, friends.... Everything just feels really bland... Except for coffee lol. Can anyone relate ?
I'm also a binge drinker, and I often feel the same way, so I'd say stopping heavy binge drinking can bring about similar types of emotions/reactions as stopping daily drinking.

I'm not depressed, but I often have trouble enjoying the normal things of life. From I've read there is a clinical condition called Anhedonia that many recovering alcoholics and addicts experience. Basically, our brain chemistry becomes screwed up from using mood altering substances over a period of time. When we stop, it takes time for the brain to adjust.

I'm not able to explain the process, so if you're interested check the link below. The information helped me to understand why I sometimes feel so listless and disinterested in normal activities.

Anhedonia – Inability to Experience Pleasure
Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itsmytime1234 View Post
I stopped drinking 16 days ago. Since I wasnt a daily drinker just more of a binger who couldn't control them self, I wasn't prepared for experiencing any kind of depressed feelings . Just the past week I have been a mess, just feeling like I don't want to do anything. Is this normal for someone who wasn't a frequent or daily drinker ? It's not like I'm dying for a drink and that's all I think about , I honestly don't want anything... Food, water, friends.... Everything just feels really bland... Except for coffee lol. Can anyone relate ?
I have been having the exact same thing. I'm only on day 2 and have also never been a daily drinker. I had just come off a 3 day binge and yesterday was the first time i'd ever had withdrawal symptoms. Everything feels really bleak and I have been extremely anxious ever since. I told my mum about the extent of my problem yesterday and have been calling her regularly ever since. Talking to someone has really helped me feel a bit more positive.

Good luck, you've done really well to get to 16 days! Try to talk to someone if you can and hang in there i'm sure it will pass.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am on day 20 and feeling very down today. Feeling unmotivated and lacking confidence. Hopefully will be better tomorrow. I was fine over the weekend.