SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Well, here I am again... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295260-well-here-i-am-again.html)

claryhen 05-20-2013 05:28 AM

Well, here I am again...

Hello guys, I've always toyed with the idea of sobriety and popped on here many times over the years to get the courage to go for it. However up until now I've always managed to be persuaded and to persuade myself that I just needed to cut down, but I always ended up back in the same place and sometimes worse. So after a long period of worse, here I am and I'm going for it.... I've managed to convince my DH that no, I can't just have one because one leads to ten, which in turn leads to me drinking everyday, way more than I should. I quit properly on Saturday eve after sharing a last bottle with H and yesterday you guys really helped me through as you are doing today. I learnt about withdrawl symptoms and urge surfing, about the existence of non secular support groups and about not being back in this position again.
So thank you all, good luck with your journeys

ImperfectlyMe 05-20-2013 05:38 AM

Best of luck, welcome back

PaperDolls 05-20-2013 07:04 AM

I'm glad you're here claryhen. :You_Rock_

I've always managed to be persuaded and to persuade myself that I just needed to cut down, but I always ended up back in the same place and sometimes worse.
Remember this part!

anewpage 05-20-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by claryhen (Post 3974991)
. I've managed to convince my DH that no, I can't just have one because one leads to ten, which in turn leads to me drinking everyday, way more than I should.

And that is exactly my issue as well. Trying to get others to understand that I can't stop at one. Welcome! *waves*

JustSarah 05-20-2013 07:14 AM

It's my problem too - it's awful and people don't get it - I will drink anything until I pass out though. Even worse is I don't remember and my husband has to deal with a whole load of craziness that can be for 2 hours until I do pass out. It's just ridiculous. I often wonder how on earth I got to be like this...

Good luck all, nice to know I'm not alone :) xx

Hevyn 05-20-2013 07:15 AM

Welcome claryhen! It's great to have you here. :)

I tried for many years to control my drinking. It never worked, not once. I ended up completely dependent on it. As you said, one leads to ten - every time. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize I had to say goodbye to it forever. You can do this!

instant 05-20-2013 07:25 AM

Its a big step to take but worth it. Welcome

James18 05-20-2013 07:31 AM

Claryhen, that sounds exactly the same as me. I've tried to cut down so many times it's not even funny, only to build back up to stupid levels. Good luck and hello :)