Notices

Withdrawal

Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal

Today is the first time I've had withdrawal symptoms and it's really scary. I've known I've had a problem for a while but didn't think I was a proper alcoholic as I don't drink every day. I feel so ill, like i'm having a panic attack constantly. How long do these symptoms usually last?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi,
If I had a big binge I would usually feel that anxiety for a day or 2 but it slowly got better each hour. Water and sleep helped me (if you can relax enough to sleep, which can be difficult).
good luck, I know how awful it is to go through
Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, yeah it is improving slowly - horrible though not sure how i'll get to sleep feeling this way. Just told my mum i'm an alcoholic and needed help and her reaction was positive and comforting. It's also comforting acknowledging the problem so I can start to sort out this horrible mess!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found getting and staying asleep was very difficult, especially the first night. The worst was the guilt and shame and my mind would be running at 1000 mph. Most people I have spoken to have the same experience.
Well done for speaking to someone, it's a huge step forward and you will need the support. My biggest problem was accepting and acknowledging my alcoholism and it's great that you are doing that.

I really hope you get some rest tonight and remember that you will feel better tomorrow
Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are blessed to have the support of your Mom. With your willpower, your Mother's love and the support you receive from SR - you are on your way to a happy healthy life.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you feel better soon. It's great that you have your mother's support.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon. Welcome to SR liverbird

D
Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing better today; I am on my way to work but will check in later in the day
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

I had the same- The panic and insomnia passed after a cpl days..this may sound odd but I found that spending a cpl hrs at a health club improved me dramatically, (that is after u r feeling up to it), I got a short but intense exercise and sat and sweated out all those toxins in a sauna.. I left feeling I had sped up my physical healing process very much- I think those toxins are what keep us down during that first few days-this is just simply what worked for me- Only do what you feel is safe for you at this time
Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - feel slightly better today but got barely any sleep last night. Yeah i'm taking vitamins and might go for a run a bit later if I can get some sleep before then. Yesterday was without doubt the worst day of my life and I'm determined not to go through that again. All your kind words are a real help!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel liverbird. I have just started to feel better after going on a bender to end all benders Saturday night. I don't sleep after drinking and have had that horrific anxiety thing until I managed some sleep a few hours ago. It's a horrible feeling and I'm not planning on going through it again. I'm glad you told someone about your drink problem. That's something I'm building up to. For the moment I said I was stopping as a health kick.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
I feel so ill, like i'm having a panic attack constantly. How long do these symptoms usually last?
I have quit many, many times over the years/decades.

It last about 2 weeks for me. Anxiety and vivid dreams are my main problem. I just quit trying to sleep if I cant. I get up and clean the house or something. But I am an alternate shift worker so I am used to weird sleeping hours.

It will all go away very fast. Hang in there.