Notices

Today is Day 1

Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is Day 1

Well let me start by saying that I've only recently come to the realization that I may have a serious issue with alcohol. In the past, my problems have always had to do with pills and drugs. But I have been off all of that for almost 2 years now. It's been great, but then I started drinking as a way to relax at the end of the day, relieve boredom, etc. and all of sudden I find myself drinking anywhere from 3-5 nights/week. Even when I decide that I am not going to drink for a bit, I can't seem to make it more than 2 consecutive days before I have justified buying another bottle of wine. I don't want to be like this. It's not healthy, and I've seen the destruction it can cause. My mom is an alcoholic and just can't seem to quit, despite pancreatitis, and several hospitalizations. I guess I joined this forum as way to finally "admit" to myself that I have a problem and for some support in actually sticking to the plan to stop drinking this much. I need some accountability as well as a way to celebrate my successes and admit my failures. So here we go- DAY 1!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Glad you found this place. Everyone has been so helpful to me, and there is a ton of info and support. Regarding your past drug use- I know what you mean. I quit drugs a long time ago, but alcohol continues to be my struggle! Can addicts ever do ANYTHING half way?? :-). Hang in there!!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I guess I never really dealt with my addiction issues. I kicked the drugs pretty much on my own. I got pregnant and just plain & simple made the choice to change my life. The druggie lifestyle does NOT mesh well with motherhood! But with alcohol, it's nowhere near as expensive as street drugs and available at the nearest grocery store! No venturing into bad neighborhoods or dealing with shady people. I know I can do this though!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep posting and stay strong. You can do it! SR is a great place for support.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Admitting there is a problem is the first step in solving it. You've come to a great place for support.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR! You have a great attitude. I think you'll find it very helpful to be here with us. Congratulations on your first day alcohol free. You don't need it.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I used to do a lot of drugs in my teens and early 20's (I'm 31 now). And one day, I just stopped. But it was the alcohol that really got me when I started drinking heavily a few years ago. I couldn't just stop that on my own.

You are right that you can do this. Just keep asking for support. People in recovery will go out of their way to help you.

Good luck on your first day!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SamerrasMama

D