Notices

Went to the bar today ..

Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to the bar today ..

So I got my license back finally and decided to tag along with my friends at community service afterwards to a bar. And the plan was to remain sober and drink energy drinks or sodas or water while playing pool. With over five months sober I figured I would be able to do it. So as we played pool and they got completely drunk, it never really occurred to me that I wanted a beer or a drink. I just kept thinking about how dumb they looked along with all the other drunks at the bar and also about how I was kinda bored after so many games of pool finally. I didn't rush them tho as I was the dd and I remember how I never wanted to leave the bar when drinking. But jealousy was never something I felt through the day. Just couldn't wait to leave and see sober people again. At one point even one of the girls said "you aren't tempted to drink?" And that was the first time I thought about it and I just said "no, actually I'm not. Don't feel the need to drink."
Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

why did all you fellow dwi ers decide to go to a bar first thing when you got your license?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

This time you were lucky to not crave anything, it's like russian roulette, there will eventualy be that time where you figure one won't hurt...
I would avoid situations like that when possible, just my opinion.
Congrats on 5 months!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not all dwi'ers .. People have community service for different reasons. I've been thinking about going for a while just because I want to have the strength to go and not have to drink. Idk, my plan is one day at a time and that plan is to never have one drink again. So I'm staying away from any thought that tells me one won't hurt. I have had thoughts like that during my sobriety just sitting at home but I remind myself that I never enjoyed having just one and that's what led to my issues with alcohol. I love being sober right now.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wish you the best...
Old 05-18-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with the statement below by DAB

Originally Posted by DAB View Post
This time you were lucky to not crave anything, it's like russian roulette, there will eventualy be that time where you figure one won't hurt...
I would avoid situations like that when possible, just my opinion.
Congrats on 5 months!
we should remember
some who have tried this with only 5 months sober
have ended up drunk

Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I applaud you on being able to pull it off.

Just remember, hang out in a barber shop and eventually you'll get a haircut.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Well done SHH, I also went to places where others were drinking (after a few months) and found it less challenging than the times when I was unprepared and the cravings took me by surprise. I agree that caution is necessary, but you seem able to judge your moments.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just to clarify, I don't plan on hanging out at bars every day. Just want to be able to go with friends once in awhile without drinking and not run away from my weaknesses.