Notices

How did you reward yourself for sobriety milestones?

Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
instant

Mw. It is important to acknowledge the milestones. Over time you will find a way that works for you.

I try to celebrate sobriety everyday, in a way that is about finding a way to be thankful for this gift. If you still regard living sober as "missing out" in some way it would be wrthwhile to work on that.

When i made 6 months i cried, and even just writing that nearly breaks me up. At 12 months i bought myself a guitar. I have just past year 2 and i am in the market for another. These are not rewards but reminders. I regard May15 as my real birthday, and i hope i can continue to say that.

Well done on your time- it gets better.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eddiebuckle View Post

I recently heard this at a meeting about surrender. "Surrender is not the beginning of defeat, it is the end of the war." I celebrate every day the same way, by not drinking.
I'm all for this. However, I treat myself to a cupcake every month I think of it as a celebration of my well-being rather than a reward for staying sober. And I'm already planning for ice cream cake on my one year (July 27)
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LDT

I was not kind to myself, nor treated myself well in any fashion when I was drinking. That was something I had to learn from scratch after I got sober. So anything "special" I do for myself these days is a reflection of the self respect I have gained. For me, that in itself is magical!