SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Question for Music Lovers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295099-question-music-lovers.html)

EverySngleNight 05-18-2013 01:37 PM

Question for Music Lovers

I need to update my playlist! I love music, listen to ALL types. A lot of what's in my queue now just reminds me of drinking.

What songs inspire/remind you to stay sober?
:thanks

ImperfectlyMe 05-18-2013 01:45 PM

Dave Mathews ....."Sweet"
Great idea!!

animalnurse9 05-18-2013 01:53 PM

Have you heard robin thicke ft pharrell blurred lines? Such a funky tune ( sorry to use the word funky lol ) .makes me want get out there!

MidnightBlue 05-18-2013 01:55 PM

Hi, EverySngleNight.

I love songs that I listen in sobriety - they are just songs, no drama related

Just a few

Conjure One - Extraordinary Way - YouTube

Muse - Follow Me - YouTube

garou stand up - YouTube

There are also a couple of threads in our Cafe Central

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...g-carries.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-tv-show.html

Best wishes to you)

EverySngleNight 05-18-2013 01:57 PM

Ooo keep them coming guys! I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of folks in recovery have killer taste in music!! It just makes sense... For some reason...

least 05-18-2013 02:05 PM

I love classical, jazz, and bluegrass.:)

Louise82 05-18-2013 02:22 PM

"I'm Not Going Back" - Kristyna Myles

auden67 05-18-2013 02:59 PM

I love this thread! What a great idea! I tried to include videos that I really loved too.

Here are some of my favorites. I'm not including any Elliot Smith or anything too sad. :)

Head and the Heart: Lost in my Mind The Head and the Heart - Lost In My Mind (Live on KEXP) - YouTube

Tallest Man on Earth; Where Do My Bluebird Fly The Tallest Man On Earth - Where Do My Bluebird Fly (Live on KEXP) - YouTube

Yo La Tengo: Ohm Yo La Tengo - "Ohm" - YouTube, Our Way to Fall Yo La tengo - A Take Away Show - Part 1 on Vimeo

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros: Home Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's - A Take Away Show on Vimeo

Gillian Welch: Hard Times Gillian Welch | Hard Times - YouTube

Sarah Jaffe: Clementine Sarah Jaffe's "Clementine" Music Video on Vimeo

Mount Moriah: Lament Mount Moriah - Lament - YouTube

Josh Ritter: Girl in the War Josh Ritter - "Girl In The War" - YouTube

Brown Bird - Big Old Big One Brown Bird - Blood of Angels - Big Old Big One - YouTube

Selah Sue: Raggamuffin Selah Sue - Raggamuffin (Official Video) - YouTube

J.D. McPherson: Northside Gal J.D. McPherson - North Side Gal (OFFICIAL VIDEO,HD) - YouTube

Nikki Hill: I Got a Man I Got A Man / Strapped To The Beat - Nikki Hill - El Toro Records - YouTube

I've got lots more, depending on your tastes.

EverySngleNight 05-18-2013 03:38 PM

Auden67

Holy awesome list batman!!!!!! <3

Woozy 05-18-2013 03:41 PM

Bibio - Like A Sundial - YouTube

Biblio - Lover's Carvings - YouTube

Bibio/Biblio, really been enjoying this lately.

Music is rough though, I always used to get drunk, chain-smoke, and listen to music alone. It was my THING, and now music can be kind of atrigger. =/

Great posts everyone!

DirtyRiverMan 05-18-2013 03:55 PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Poison Whiskey (studio version) - YouTube

tomsteve 05-18-2013 04:07 PM

didnt take long after i got into recovery that i started listening to the lyrics of the music i was jammin to. realized quite a bit of it was rather morbid.

i listen to all styles of music and still listen to some of the musicians i used to crank up. some of the songs i jammed to while gettin drunk/stoned/high ( like ozzy's suicide solution and bemon alcohol) i will occasionaly listen to just to remind me. it all depends on how im feelin. sometimes i crankin bob marley, might be SRV, hank williams, eminem, who knows. but i dont let music control my thinkin anymore.

pinkgate 05-18-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight (Post 3972450)
Ooo keep them coming guys! I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of folks in recovery have killer taste in music!! It just makes sense... For some reason...

It's the dopamine connection I believe. I think I'm addicted to rock and roll.

2granddaughters 05-18-2013 04:55 PM

Kicks Lyrics by Paul Revere and the Raiders - YouTube

EverySngleNight 05-18-2013 05:13 PM

I'm going to go through and listen to all of them. Can't wait!! keep it going- this great, thanks guys!!!

MidnightBlue 05-18-2013 07:20 PM

And "No regrets", of course. Keep telling myself when past regrets start attacking.

"No regrets, they don't work.
No regrets, they only hurt".

Robbie Williams - No Regrets - YouTube

pinkgate 05-19-2013 02:22 PM

Go on youtube and search for Reasons to Quit ;)
The Merle Haggard/Willie Nelson version, or one of the covers.

Black Bird 05-19-2013 02:54 PM

Higher Ground-Bruce Springsteen

Gonna Cut You Down-Johnny Cash

Not Afraid- Eminem

Extraordinary Machine-Fiona Apple

Going through Hell-Rodney Atkins

Troae 05-19-2013 04:19 PM

I like Mike Portnoy's (Dream Theater) entire 12 Step Suite, spread across 5 different albums.

Twelve-Step Suite (by Dream Theater) - YouTube

Darkplace2013 05-19-2013 05:41 PM

Cold desert.
Kings Of Leon Cold Desert Live At The O2 London - YouTube

One day like this.
Elbow One Day Like This with the BBC Concert Orchestra and choir Chantage - YouTube

Just two I think can be feel good songs in a way.....