Notices

Starting AA

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting AA

After falling yet again, I've come to realize I can't do this alone. So I'm going to force myself to go to AA. There are 2 meetings today. I'll more than likely go to the 6:00 one because the evenings are hardest for me. It's not that I don't want to go, I'm just shy and its hard for me to walk in somewhere by myself like that. It's a necessity though. I'm sick of this cycle.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool. good luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post

So I'm going to force myself to go to AA.
good luck
AA has helped many to recover
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this works for you.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sinderos, so glad you've decided to seek some outside support. I also couldn't make it through the evenings (the wine started calling me around 6PM and it just got louder and louder until I gave in) so I gave AA a try for the same reason. I had a lot of reservations and doubts when I started, including being scared to death of walking in on my own, but three months later, I am so very glad I made the choice. I remember posting on here how afraid I was to walk into those rooms and everyone telling me not to worry, I would find the whole experience a lot different and less terrifying than my mind was setting up. And, as with many things on SR, they were right.

Now I can walk into any meeting and feel immediately OK even if it is not the one I usually go to. No one, in any meeting, has ever made me speak when I didn't want to or in any way made me feel uncomfortable (which I think is more the norm than the exception). It has become a critical piece of my recovery---along with SR and some counseling--- so I hope you find the same.

In either case, please write and tell us how it goes!

Sending you a warm hug and all the best and bravest vibes for a successful first meeting!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a new AA member too. I was so shy and scared. I walked in sat all alone and some nice lady, who is my friend now came to me and took me under her wing. Remember everyone there walked in for their firsttime shy, scared, and worse. I think the shock of me walking into an AA meeting woke me up! I am 8 days sober thanks to AA. My problem now is I am too shy to ask someone to be my sponsor. I guess I should follow my own advice.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
It's not that I don't want to go, I'm just shy and its hard for me to walk in somewhere by myself like that.
I believe that many times, if you contact your local AA office, they will hook you up w/someone who can pick you up and take you to the meeting so you don't have to "walk in by yourself." This option might be what you need to get to that first meeting.

I also know that, at my first Alanon meeting, I had many offers from people regarding future meetings I could attend and how, if I chose to go, they would be more than willing to wait for me at the entrance to the building so I would have someone to walk in with and to sit with, so I'm guessing that once you go to that first meeting, you may never have to walk in alone again anywhere unless you want to.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I believe that many times, if you contact your local AA office, they will hook you up w/someone who can pick you up and take you to the meeting so you don't have to "walk in by yourself." This option might be what you need to get to that first meeting.
This is true. When I wanted to go this time I just could not do it. Last time I walked right in but this time I needed help.

I called and then they had a person call me back. They told me of a meeting in the area and came and picked me up and took me to it. I am so grateful to that person.

From then on I was okay to go to a meeting alone although I was scared that I did not know anyone but I soon talked with a couple people. Now almost two months later I know over a dozen people by name and not only am I happy to see them they are happy to see me
Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

I was so scared before my first trip to AA that I literally turned the car around and started driving back home three or four times before I decided to just go do it. I am extremely glad that I did go in and check it out. It has helped save my life.

Just keep telling yourself that you don't have to say anything (you really don't) and that literally every person in the room has been in a situation similar to the one you find yourself in right now. I think you'll find it to be a very welcoming and compassionate group of people.

And if you don't feel comfortable in that group, for any reason, try a different one. Every group takes on its own dynamic and if the first group you go to doesn't inspire you to want to come back, give another group a chance. I've been to 5 and 2 became my regular groups. Keep trying until you find one that's right for you.

Best of luck to you. The program really has worked for millions and it can work for you, too.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here is a great link for you:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 05-18-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Those 12 steps saved my life 2 years ago. I walked in those rooms a shy, anxious, fearful woman and today I walk in with joy in my heart.

Today, Life is truly beautiful!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Sinderos!

D
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

They often have "open" meetings where I live, that you are allowed to bring supporters (non-alcoholics) to. If you have someone you can trust that will be a positive comrade, bring them.

My (non-alcoholic) husband comes with me sometimes, even at 10 months sober. I'm not nervous anymore, but he comes just to support me Best of luck to you my friend. So important to remember... One step at a time.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't think anybody goes into their first AA meeting feeling like their on top of the world.

Tell people it's your first meeting, you may be surprised at how welcome they make you feel.