SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1 of Year #2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294969-day-1-year-2-a.html)

Hefner 05-17-2013 08:16 AM

Day 1 of Year #2

Today I didnt roll over and try to sleep off my hangover. Today I didnt walk to the medicine cabinet and reach for the asprin. Today didnt start with me planning what time I would arrive at the bar. Today I didnt inventory my " supply " to make sure that I had enough Beer to get me through the night. Today I didnt make up a reason to call off of work. Today I didn't get my " travelers " ready by putting 2 on ice in the little cooler that use to hide under a jacket on the passenger side of my car. Today I'm not going to avoid answering calls from family members that might take me away from my " friends " at the Bar. Today I'm not going to blow off paying that utility bill so I have more money to drink on. Today I'm not going to walk past a pile of dirty clothes on my bedroom floor. Today I'm not going to walk past a sink full of filthy dishes. Today I'm not going to put anyone at risk or dread that police cruiser behind me. Today I'm not going to drive impaired. Today I'm not going to feel sorry for myself. Today I'm not going to contemplate not only how I will kill myself but where and when. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Today I awoke to the sound of my neighbor mowing the lawn. Today I awoke to the sound of birds chirping. Today I opened my bedroom window and let in the sunshine, the warm 70 degree breeze and the smell of the freshly cut grass. Today I awoke with clear eyes and clear thinking. Today my life is back on track. Today I am closer to my family than I have been in years. Today my life has meaning. Today I want to help others. Today I have energy and purpose. Today I am ALIVE because today I am 1 year and 1 day sober. To all of you who are there with me you know how it feels. To all of you who strive to get there we are ALL here to help you, to applaud your efforts, to pick you up when you stumble, to be a shoulder to cry on, to be the hand on the other side of that high five. We are HERE to support you in ways that only those who have been THERE can. Heres hoping that TOMORROW will be YOUR TODAY !

God Bless.

ImperfectlyMe 05-17-2013 08:18 AM

Amazing I can't wait to say I'm starting my second year! You should be so proud!

MidnightBlue 05-17-2013 08:34 AM

Great post!

Congrats on your Day 1 of year 2 (such a different Day 1)))

breath 05-17-2013 08:34 AM

Looking forward, one day at a time, to make my two year post next Friday!

RiverFriend 05-17-2013 08:47 AM

So awesome and you have certainly helped me today. Day 2 of Year #1 :) Thank you for your post.

EverySngleNight 05-17-2013 08:50 AM

Inspirational!!! I needed that post. TY and congratulations!!!

Hefner 05-17-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by RiverFriend (Post 3970611)
So awesome and you have certainly helped me today. Day 2 of Year #1 :) Thank you for your post.

Congrats and strength to you on your sober journey River! 2 " Todays " and many more to come! :You_Rock_

Hefner 05-17-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue (Post 3970588)
Great post!

Congrats on your Day 1 of year 2 (such a different Day 1)))

Thanks Midnightblue! It DEFINETLY is a different day 1 and I pray every night, and I'm not a Church going guy, for everyone out there fighting addiction. Its soooo difficult at first and I can COMPLETELY understand those who stumble just trying to get started. I only hope that words are enough to urge on those who are having a hard time with it. Before May 16th of last year I honestly dont remember the last day I was sober. I drank every day for years. Not that any one of us is a " better " alcoholic or addict. My point is if people can just hang in there long enough there IS a crest to that Mountain and you CAN get over the top it just seems like you can't see that Mountain Peak at first and that the climb will never end. It will. Congrats to you also on your sobriety!

Hefner 05-17-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by breath (Post 3970589)
Looking forward, one day at a time, to make my two year post next Friday!

Congratulations on your upcoming 2 years Breath! Now I can't wait for my 2 year post! Only 364 more days to go! Lol.:c029:

bryangt 05-17-2013 09:14 AM

well put & congratulations! 'Clarity' rules...