Notices

Moms club 2013

Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moms club 2013

I have been seeing several other mins here wanted to start a group so we could help each other. I know the struggle and shame that goes sling with addiction issues and being a good parent.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Hey there...I'm in. I am a mom to a beautiful 6 year old girl. Want to stay sober so I can be the mommy she deserves.

16 days under my belt. Feeling better every day!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey dolly do glad you joined have been seeing you around here a lot. I think checking in here through our the day is my new addiction!

Is your daughter in kindergarten? I have two girls 1st grade and Pre school!

I know at least my oldest notices a big change in mom. I know she hadn't made the association between a less distracted mom and mommys wine glass.

Do you do AA? I haven't yet. Not sure whsts stopping me
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi...My daughter is just finishing Kindergarten. Will be a big 1st grader in the fall. She definitely started noticing my drinking, and it broke my heart to hear her say things like..."you drink too much wine mom":-(

I told her I didn't drink wine anymore because I was trying to get healthy, and that wine wasn't healthy for me. She loves that I bring tea up now when I tuck her in and read her story...she loves to dunk the tea bag for me:-)

I haven't gone to an AA meeting yet, but I want to. Unfortunately, the meetings are not at convenient times for me and our schedules. My husband and I work opposite shifts. The only time is Sunday night at 7:00, and I hate to miss bed time.

I did buy the Big Book though, and have been reading it, but it's not an easy read...written so long ago.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in too! I have 5 children. Four in school (One in Kindergarten) and one at home. I am in AA and so far so good.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey black bird glad you are hear! 5 kids!!!!!! Wow I stopped at two its a tough gig!
Read this awesome fictional book "best kept secret"
And waiting on two book I ordered
"Diary of an alcoholic housewife" and
"Mommy doesn't drink here anymore"
Haha great titles right hence the reason I ordered then rather then have to walk to the register with those while keeping my kids from ripping books off the shelf!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I read "Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore", and I really liked it. I read it in 2 days!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did read Diary of an Alcholic Housewife. I also ordered it. Haha. I am going to check out the other books you mentioned. Right now I'm reading Perfect Daughters. It os a book about daughters of Alcoholic parents. Now that I am sober, I need some help with dealing with my alcoholic mother. But first things first right.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How is your relationship with your mother now? Is she still drinking? If she is deceased excuse my questions.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My mother doesn't know I quit drinking. We have never had a real mother and daughter relationship. We bonded as soon as I started drinking. We are "drinking buddies". We don't do anything together if it does mot involve alcohol. Tonight I will be going to a fair that usually ends with me and my mom getting wasted together. But this time, my sober family and my AA friends will be there with me, and I am going to have to tell my mom I quit drinking. She will say something insensitive but I am prepared for that. Um...really, I have no clue how our relationship will be now that I'm sober. I love my mom and would love to have a normal relationship with her. I am doing that...becoming as normal as I can. Haha. The rest is up to her. I am nervous about it. But, I have to remember, I have no control over other people.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great idea! I've got two kids, a 7 year old girl and 12 year old boy.
My daughter once said that going to bed makes you lose your memory. And in all their beautiful pictures they drew of me I was holding a glass of wine. I did some stupid stuff. I hope I haven't screwed them up too badly.

I'm trying to keep all the drama of quitting alcohol away from them. They just know that mom is a little more bitchy and tired right now. And I have a better memory now, so watch out!

And I've really been struggling. I come to this site A LOT. It helps to remind me why I quit in case I talk myself into thinking I don't have a problem or if I've forgotten. I'm not into AA. It just isn't my thing. I'm using AVRT. I'm having to totally redefine myself as a mom, wife, and a person.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Blck bird good luck tonight please let us no how it goes!

Beavis so glad you joined! How long have you been sober?
I'm on day 39
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bevis...my daughter is 6 1/2, and she has drawn many pictures of mommy holding wine glasses, and her tea parties were always set up with wine glasses instead of tea cups. It used to upset me, but it was my own fault. I was happy that on Mother's Day she set a table with the china and put tea cups instead:-)

I have the opposite relationship with my mom. Although we have maintained a very close relationship...she is a recovering alcoholic as well, but she has almost 40 years of sobriety!!! I know she has not liked how much I have drank in the past, but she has no idea the extent of my drinking the past year or so. I haven't told her yet, but she will be the first to tell. I'm expecting her to be happy that I no longer drink, but sad for me that I lost control and am now struggling (although...she will certainly understand).
Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Imperfectlyme. I think your mom will be happy and proud of you! Maybe my mom will see that I have gotten help and she will follow? Idk? My dad was an alcoholic also but he quit years ago becaisevit almost killed him. I know when he finds out I quit drinking he will be happy. I am happy about that. There are many things that led up to me realizing I am an alcoholic and it was affecting my kids. One that sticks out in my mind is a day or two before I reached out for help we were having a party. I made some jungle juice and after a few of those I decided the drunk was not coming fast enough so I stared with the Rum. Iwas being loud, cussing, laughing like a fool...being my normal drunk self. I don't remember what I was talking about but I looked at my 14 year old daughter and said laughing, "Don't ever be like me." She looked me dead in the face and said, "Don't worry, I won't." That stuck with me. And even after she said that, I kept drinking until I passed out that night. I knew we were headed down the same road as my mother and I are on. I can not go that road with my kids.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

P.S. Please excuse my typos. I am writing from my phone and for some reason I can't preview my posts before I send.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm here too. I am a mother of 3 kids, aged 6, 3 and 1. I just know that when I DON'T drink, I am irritable and horrible. And when I DO drink, I am nice and will play with them etc, but I forget things and neglect my responsibilities. So I'm not good either way..
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Black bird that must have hurt whst your daughter said hopefully the shame will pass but the memory of it will remain as to keep you on travk.

A new page I'm so glad you joined!!!!! I don't even know you and I was worried about you genuinely. That hasn't happened to me before reading posts!

Hopefully we can all help each other when it's really hard and celebrate our accomplishments as well.

Back to the mountains of wash
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow! This is amazing. Thanks for starting this thread. I feel like I really need the support of other parents. I am using AVRT, was alcohol-free for 3 wonderful weeks. Made a HUGE mistake a few days ago. I feel so guilty. I am mean to my sweet 10-year-old son when I drink. I cannot drink ever again.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So glad you are here 1st. Can you tell me we AVRT is everyone talks about it
Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My hard hours are coming up. I dread this every day. Let's see how I do.