Notices

New here and on day 6 of being sober

Old 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and on day 6 of being sober

Hi everyone. I have been lurking for a while and this forum has really helped me these past 6 days. Thank you!
I am a stay at home wife and mother and have a really good life. Supportive loving husband and 5 really great kids. That's the good part.

Now on to the not so good...I was a weekend binge drinker since the age 18. Quit it all when my babies were small. Went back to bindging once in a while. After my youngest was a little older and all my kids were in school, that's when all hell broke loose. I became a all day everyday drinker. From 9am to bedtime every single day. I lived that way for the past 2 1/2
years. I have done and said and felt almost everything everyone on here has so I won't write it all here right now.

I don't know how it happened. I was sitting outside drunk and my cousin who is recovering in AA stopped by. He never comes over. Well that day he did. As he was leaving I rushed to the car an said, "I need help!" I never ask for help, it just came out of me. He pointed me to the direction of AA. I went to my first meeting in utter shock, shame, and scared out of my mind. I left with a sense of comfort and humility. I have gone to every meeting since. I am on day 6 of being sober and I am thankful. Thank you so much for this great site and all the help you give. You guys have truly helped. I am off to a meeting. I will check back later.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on taking that first step and on six days! Great...you are on the right path. Hang out with us often and we can all help each other.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow amazing so glad you spoke up it so hard to ask for help!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

When I have a hard time believing in a Higher Power it's stories like these that make me say hmmmm?

Keep up the good work Black Bird.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Black Bird.

I drank like that, too. It was a horrible and dangerous way to live. I'm so glad you are leaving that life behind. You have so much to look forward to - and you'll be free to enjoy life the way you were meant to. We're happy to have you here - glad it's helping.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Black Bird View Post
I don't know how it happened. I was sitting outside drunk and my cousin who is recovering in AA stopped by. He never comes over. Well that day he did. As he was leaving I rushed to the car an said, "I need help!" I never ask for help, it just came out of me. He pointed me to the direction of AA. I went to my first meeting in utter shock, shame, and scared out of my mind. I left with a sense of comfort and humility. I have gone to every meeting since. I am on day 6 of being sober and I am thankful. Thank you so much for this great site and all the help you give. You guys have truly helped. I am off to a meeting. I will check back later.
Wow that is so awesome! Yay God as that was a God thing what happened with your friend in my opinion! That took so much courage to humble yourself and ask your friend for help and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. You just keep doing what you are doing and you will be on a happy path. God Bless you!!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I truly believe it was Divine intervention. Thank you for the warm welcome.