Notices

when I was young

Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when I was young

Sitting here in day two I was just thinking when I was young (Im 59 now) I could go without drinking I never got to a long weekend and panicked cos the liquor store was going to be shut.I remember going to church sunday evening and Wednesday and loving it .alcohol realy did a number on me now I rush home to gulp down beer and that's me for the night I will go without food to drink.I checked my posts on this site from a couple of years ago and I would call myself a loser thought I had kicked it but I am not going to beat myself up I am going to try again.At least you people don't judge me you all know what a sneaky demon alcohol is it creeps up on you one ay your only having a few beers and the next your drinking at 8 in the morning..Seriously last week I was drinking at 7am and trying to sober up before my wife came home from work.no life no way to live so pathetic.Where did this old drunk come from.Its the Victoria day weekend here and I have no intention of drinking maybe take my granddaughter out instead she is 9 and I gotta quit now before she realizes grampa always smells of beer please keep supporting me ............................
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. Welcome back. You can do this, and we are here for support. Its wonderful that you have made it back, and you are posting. Have fun with your granddaughter. Create a new sober memory with her. I know that you can do this.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, joleah, those words ring so close to my heart... I have a five-year-old and a four-year-old, and they are so happy and free and I have honest-to-God looked at them and thought, "Gee, and they've never even had a drink...EVER!" I wonder where the tables turned, when I went from living to escaping. When I went from having fun to creating chaos. When I turned away from healthy living and towards hurting myself. When I lost faith. I'm longing for the day when I can just be like them, in the moment and not in the past or future. In some instances, older sure isn't wiser, eh?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Time Lord

Talking

Welcome back! I hope you have fun with your granddaughter! I bet she will have a blast! Good luck! We are all going through the same thing and you are not alone. We are here for you if you need us!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No judgement here. Different story but same boat. I think children as well as dogs teach us more about life than anything else if we listen.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stay strong joleah

We get it and know how hard it is.
It'll get better, we're here for you.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never too late to start again

Welcome back Joleah

D
Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great seeing you again Joleah. I know you can do this. I finally did it after 30 yrs., and it stuck this time. Never give up - keep reaching out and posting here.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joleah View Post
Sitting here in day two I was just thinking when I was young (Im 59 now) I could go without drinking I never got to a long weekend and panicked cos the liquor store was going to be shut.I remember going to church sunday evening and Wednesday and loving it .alcohol realy did a number on me now I rush home to gulp down beer and that's me for the night I will go without food to drink.I checked my posts on this site from a couple of years ago and I would call myself a loser thought I had kicked it but I am not going to beat myself up I am going to try again.At least you people don't judge me you all know what a sneaky demon alcohol is it creeps up on you one ay your only having a few beers and the next your drinking at 8 in the morning..Seriously last week I was drinking at 7am and trying to sober up before my wife came home from work.no life no way to live so pathetic.Where did this old drunk come from.Its the Victoria day weekend here and I have no intention of drinking maybe take my granddaughter out instead she is 9 and I gotta quit now before she realizes grampa always smells of beer please keep supporting me ............................
I have 2 granddaughters, they are a blessing aren't they.

I'll be 69 in a couple of weeks and have been sober in AA for over 23 yrs. Have you given AA a good shot ??

I'm near Windsor, what part of Ontario are you from?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do it! It's never too late to stop for good. What else have you tried besides AA?

I don't believe anyone is hopeless. You just have to find what works for you. For me that's been AVRT.