Notices

Alcohol

Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol

I'm new to this thread and excited to be here.* I have decided to stop drinking.* I crave alcohol (wine) every evening.* I can easily drink four glasses in a couple of hours.* I have tried to quit, but I can't do it.* Whenever I begin to cook or work on my hobbies the first thing I want to do is pour myself a glass of wine. I'm sick of it and want this habit to go AWAY!!!!!** Tomorrow I am going to my doctor to see if he can prescribe me Campral or anyother anti craving medication for extra help.* If anyone knows of a medication that works.* I would love to hear about it.Thanks.`
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used an effective medicine called willpower and determination...so far so good.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ladybugs

I never took any medications - just speak to your Dr, be honest and see what they suggest.

I think thats the best way to go

welcome to SR

D
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome ladybugs!
Good for you admitting you have a prob & want to do smthg about it. No disrespect to gman, but will power works for very few & I wasn't 1 of them until I joined AA & did step 3 which says that we have to turn our will & lives over to the care of God. We ran the show for sooo long but did a very poor job of it. So why not let our Creator take over & let Him show us how to get sober & free & happy.
Ladyb-since the cravings will still be there strongly for you, I highly suggest you join a program of recovery prefarably AA & get back & tell us what you think
Best wishes on your new life
Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish will power was all I needed, but unfortunately I need extra support.

Last edited by ladybugs; 05-15-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: wasn't finished with first post.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I know for me having a support group really helps... Were you thinking of Trying AA or another program? I'll second that full disclosure to your Dr. is a great idea and he/she should point you in the right direction...

LadyBugs...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Ladybug! Glad you are here, this is a wonderful place for support. That's great that you have decided to quit and start off with discussing it with your doctor.

I used to have that same wine craving and used to finish off a bottle of wine (or two) every single night for several years. I got to the point where it was all that comforted me. Eventually it obviously took a toll on my health and made me feel and look horrible. I feel so much better now that I'm sober. Each sober month gets better and better.

Good luck Ladybug, you can do it! You have lots of support here!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thankyou! I'm very nervous about it. I'm not looking forward to this discussion with my doctor or just getting it out and on the table so he will know whats going on. :/
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's scary coming clean...but it's probably the best thing you could do - let us know how you get on!

D
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

I had a routine appt with my doctor and I brought it up. He was very understanding and glad that I was willing to try. LOL it took about 4 months and a few tries but he kept urging me to try. This last time he thought I should try to get into an IOP program. I did that and I have been sober for 4 weeks. But it all started with being willing to talk to my doctor.