SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294829-alcohol.html)

ladybugs 05-15-2013 10:31 PM

Alcohol

I'm new to this thread and excited to be here.* I have decided to stop drinking.* I crave alcohol (wine) every evening.* I can easily drink four glasses in a couple of hours.* I have tried to quit, but I can't do it.* Whenever I begin to cook or work on my hobbies the first thing I want to do is pour myself a glass of wine. I'm sick of it and want this habit to go AWAY!!!!!** Tomorrow I am going to my doctor to see if he can prescribe me Campral or anyother anti craving medication for extra help.* If anyone knows of a medication that works.* I would love to hear about it.Thanks.:a108:`

gmanriley 05-15-2013 10:36 PM

I used an effective medicine called willpower and determination...so far so good.

Dee74 05-15-2013 10:38 PM

Hi ladybugs

I never took any medications - just speak to your Dr, be honest and see what they suggest.

I think thats the best way to go :)

welcome to SR :)

D

1newcreation 05-15-2013 10:47 PM

Welcome ladybugs!
Good for you admitting you have a prob & want to do smthg about it. No disrespect to gman, but will power works for very few & I wasn't 1 of them until I joined AA & did step 3 which says that we have to turn our will & lives over to the care of God. We ran the show for sooo long but did a very poor job of it. So why not let our Creator take over & let Him show us how to get sober & free & happy.
Ladyb-since the cravings will still be there strongly for you, I highly suggest you join a program of recovery prefarably AA & get back & tell us what you think
Best wishes on your new life

ladybugs 05-15-2013 10:59 PM

I wish will power was all I needed, but unfortunately I need extra support.

ElegantlyWasted 05-15-2013 11:02 PM

I know for me having a support group really helps... Were you thinking of Trying AA or another program? I'll second that full disclosure to your Dr. is a great idea and he/she should point you in the right direction...

:welcome LadyBugs...

SnwFlower 05-15-2013 11:10 PM

Welcome Ladybug! Glad you are here, this is a wonderful place for support. That's great that you have decided to quit and start off with discussing it with your doctor.

I used to have that same wine craving and used to finish off a bottle of wine (or two) every single night for several years. I got to the point where it was all that comforted me. Eventually it obviously took a toll on my health and made me feel and look horrible. I feel so much better now that I'm sober. Each sober month gets better and better.

Good luck Ladybug, you can do it! You have lots of support here! :)

ladybugs 05-15-2013 11:18 PM

Thankyou! I'm very nervous about it. I'm not looking forward to this discussion with my doctor or just getting it out and on the table so he will know whats going on. :/

Dee74 05-15-2013 11:28 PM

It's scary coming clean...but it's probably the best thing you could do - let us know how you get on!

D

Grungehead 05-16-2013 12:12 AM

I had a routine appt with my doctor and I brought it up. He was very understanding and glad that I was willing to try. LOL it took about 4 months and a few tries but he kept urging me to try. This last time he thought I should try to get into an IOP program. I did that and I have been sober for 4 weeks. But it all started with being willing to talk to my doctor.