SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Been sober since August 2nd, 2012 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294798-been-sober-since-august-2nd-2012-a.html)

CoalEater 05-15-2013 02:09 PM

Been sober since August 2nd, 2012

Hello everyone,
I'm new here as you can tell. I have a drinking problem, but I went to rehab last August and I've not touched a drop since. I joined to maybe help others who are where I was. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Hevyn 05-15-2013 02:11 PM

Welcome to SR CoalEater - congratulations on your sober time. :)

CoalEater 05-15-2013 02:13 PM

Thank you, Hevyn.

pattyj 05-15-2013 02:19 PM

Stopping the alcohol consumption is the first step. How has your life changed since August? I am 30 days sober today and soooo much has changed since I quit. My whole personality has changed and I refuse to let anyone walk over me anymore. I also broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years. I was tough but has been in the back of my head for years.
What has happened to you? Sobriety is life changing and overwhelming to say the least...

CoalEater 05-15-2013 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by pattyj (Post 3967681)
Stopping the alcohol consumption is the first step. How has your life changed since August? I am 30 days sober today and soooo much has changed since I quit. My whole personality has changed and I refuse to let anyone walk over me anymore. I also broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years. I was tough but has been in the back of my head for years.
What has happened to you? Sobriety is life changing and overwhelming to say the least...

My life have changed so much for the better. Before when I drank, I wouldn't go and do anything if I knew I'd be there long, and if I couldn't drink there. Everything revolved around drinking, it was like I was chained to it, and fretted when I went somewhere without a way to drink.
That has been like the chains were snapped. I can go do things with my family now without worry of when I can go get my next beer. It feels so wonderful!

My personality has changed for the better. I'm more easy going with my wife and children, and I am more active, also my health is improving. I was taking medicine for high blood pressure, but since I stopped drinking, it's went to normal on it's own.

Anna 05-15-2013 05:45 PM

Welcome, CoalEater!

Dee74 05-15-2013 05:47 PM

welcome to SR Coal Eater :)

D

Hevyn 05-15-2013 06:03 PM

I remember those days of feeling chained, CoalEater. I never wanted to go to a move (2 hours without a drink?) or to a restaurant if they didn't serve alcohol. In the end, I was even taking it with me to grocery shop - pitiful. Never again.

CoalEater 05-15-2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 3967984)
I remember those days of feeling chained, CoalEater. I never wanted to go to a move (2 hours without a drink?) or to a restaurant if they didn't serve alcohol. In the end, I was even taking it with me to grocery shop - pitiful. Never again.

That is the way I felt. Every time me and my family went somewhere, I had to stop and buy two or three big bottles of beer to drink in the car while my wife drove. I even snuck beer in a cooler to her softball games, and got caught doing that. If we did go somewhere where I couldn't sneak beer, or drink for awhile, all I thought about was going back home to drink. It was horrible.
I feel so free now. I feels so good.

Darkplace2013 05-16-2013 12:28 AM

How have you filled your time since you gave up alcohol. What do you do now with the time you used to spend drinking??? Just out of interest. And well done on being sober since August that's an amazing achievement.

sutton123 05-16-2013 12:50 AM

Hi CoalEater,

Congratulations on your sobriety!! I went to rehab 2 years ago & am still in the same boat. if you don't mind me asking, how did you maintain your sobriety?

Many thanks,
Sutton123

CoalEater 05-19-2013 10:07 PM

I apologize for being late in my replies. I try to keep busy which can be hard sometimes. I'm unemployed at the moment, and staying at home a lot can be trying. I keep a huge garden and work in that a lot (weeding it, etc). I do tons of yardwork. I read and play the occasional video game. My family helps me keep sober as well. A few months ago we moved, and I got someone to help me move. He offered me a beer (already bought one for me) and I had to refuse it. I was proud of myself that day.

DarrenJGalea 05-19-2013 11:57 PM

A member here advised me to watch out for the times when I'd normally drink, like weekend evenings, and to be on my guard at those times especially. He also advised to never let myself get too thirsty or hungry, and to treat myself with the occasional "reward" from time to time (Doggy Treat? ;) ) like a piece of chocolate.

There's a whole lot of great advice you can find here, because it all comes from the endless possibility of other people's experience. Thanks Coaleater (and the others) for sharing yours.

Hevyn 05-20-2013 07:08 AM

Glad to hear you're resisting temptation, Coal. :) It is hard in the beginning, but it gets so much easier. Keeping busy - the way you are - is key. Anything to distract us from our thoughts early on! Gardening is a nice, healthy (backbreaking) pursuit. :)

CoalEater 05-20-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks, Hevyn. Gardening is backbreaking! But, I love it. And, it is growing easier to resist temptation, but that ugly monster still tries me at times.

quitforme79 05-20-2013 12:48 PM

welcome to SR and congrats on your sober time :)