SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   2 issues (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294763-2-issues.html)

Sinderos 05-15-2013 09:17 AM

2 issues

1) not really an issue I'm just nervous. I just emailed my friend to let her know I'm not going to the beach memorial weekend (it's a drinking weekend where everyone will get trashed). I know she'll understand when I explain why, but fessing up to a problem is difficult.

2) real problem. I am having major concentration/lack of desire at work. Not good because I have a fast paced job where intense thinking and concentration is required. Could this possibly be a withdrawal symptom?

least 05-15-2013 09:22 AM

How long have you been sober? Could be PAWS; post acute withdrawal syndrome. It's your brain getting back to normal functioning. Inability to concentrate is just one of the symptoms.

PAWS | Digital Dharma

Sinderos 05-15-2013 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 3967229)
How long have you been sober? Could be PAWS; post acute withdrawal syndrome. It's your brain getting back to normal functioning. Inability to concentrate is just one of the symptoms.

PAWS | Digital Dharma

Today is day 2.

ScottFromWI 05-15-2013 09:43 AM

You are still in the very initial and early stages on day 2. PAWS is usually weeks or months down the road from what I've read. If you have health specific concerns, you should probalby see your doctor. Having said that just about anything can happen in the first few days. As a reference, i'm about 4.5 months in and still have concentration issues at times.

Be strong and see your doctor if you feel the symptoms are getting worse or you dont' feel right.

Ptcapote 05-15-2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sinderos (Post 3967216)
1)
2) real problem. I am having major concentration/lack of desire at work. Not good because I have a fast paced job where intense thinking and concentration is required. Could this possibly be a withdrawal symptom?

Oh boy, I was going to post on this because it is the single biggest issue affecting me right now. And I am three months in! I am a complete space case. Not that I was nearly as on my game as I should have been in the last couple years of my active drinking... but now? I can barely concentrate long enough to turn my computer on and off at work. It's awful. And my job requires me to make decisions too...like routinely. So these days you can find me in my office with my door closed beseeching the heavens that no one asks me to make any sort of decision that day. Or making lists frantically so I don't forget something and then having heart palpitations when I look at the list and realize just how many things I have forgotten already!

Well, if there is every a testimonial for NOT drinking---this would be it. I am trying to be all "zen" about it and realize it is my brain healing from years of abuse and I should be kind to myself...blah, blah, blah. But there are moments, too many of them, when I want to bang my head on my desk in frustration because my brain is somewhere on vacay and I am here to fend without it...:headbange

(Thanks for bringing this up, Sinderos, and sorry to vent on your thread---if I didn't do it now I might forget I was even upset about it, getting fascinated watching a dust particle float by....)

Sinderos 05-15-2013 11:56 AM

Well, I talked to my friend and although she was definitely disappointed she said she understood and had actually been worried about me from the days of when I would hang out with them (her and 2 other friends) and apparently saw how much I drank.

I Al's scheduled a doctors appointment. I thought I would have time to mentally prepare, but they scheduled it for tomorrow at 2:45. That's scary to me!!! I can only imagine how screwed up my labs are. (I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and haven't had blood work in 2 years so hopefully my liver function and vitamin levels are ok.)

Mountainmanbob 05-15-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sinderos (Post 3967216)

try to hang in there until the mind clears up a little
it may take some time
be patient with yourself

try to get plenty of sleep -- helps to repair mind and body

vitamins can also be of some help