SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   want to go to aa but not alone (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294737-want-go-aa-but-not-alone.html)

jolene22976 05-15-2013 05:49 AM

want to go to aa but not alone

hi there this is my first post and its all new to me. today ive decided i don't want to drink anymore i went to aa belfast 4 years ago and stayed 10 weeks but totally convinced myself i wasn't an alcoholic but i am i know i am i need to do something or im going to ruin my family . ive already lost my self respect. the problem is i don;t want to go to an aa meeting on my own i dont think i could bring myself to do it and should i wait a few days or go tonight if anyone could give me some advice id be so grateful x

LSC1 05-15-2013 06:00 AM

jolene :welcome

You have found a great place.

You may be able to ring AA ... sometimes they have volunteers that can meet you before a meeting and attend the meeting with you. Some places may even provide you transport if you ask.

Congratulations on you decision to seek sobriety.

Take Care

TM75 05-15-2013 06:02 AM

Hi Jolene

I know it's very daunting going to your first AA meeting, especially alone. If you give your local group a call, someone will usually meet you outside and try and put you at ease before it starts. Don't let fear stop you from taking such a positive step. You can do this.

jolene22976 05-15-2013 06:09 AM

thankyou i phoned and left my number on answer machine they haven't got back as yet i just want this day over so sick and tired of being me wish i could fast forward a couple of weeks!!

Anna 05-15-2013 06:21 AM

Hi Jolene,

I'm glad you found us.

You can stop drinking and recover, many of us do. :)

TM75 05-15-2013 06:22 AM

That's frustrating in itself when people don't get back to you. Don't let that put you off though - think how proud you'll feel afterwards. You're making a very brave step and I applaud you for that. Let us know how it goes.

jolene22976 05-15-2013 06:31 AM

:scared::scared:Thankyou for replys it means a lot to talk with people who know wat I'm feeling I've found a meeting for tonight and. I nw the place well so its making me feel positive about walking in on my own I'm just gonna do it take the first step

whiskeyman 05-15-2013 09:39 AM

i wanted someone to go with me too but i sucked it up and went.
i dont do to much on my own as its outta my comfort zone.
but i went and boy my life is sooo different now.
two years sober and so grateful to AA and the first few people that saw me as a newbie and new exactly what to say and do so i didnt RUN

2granddaughters 05-15-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jolene22976 (Post 3966969)
:scared::scared:Thankyou for replys it means a lot to talk with people who know wat I'm feeling I've found a meeting for tonight and. I nw the place well so its making me feel positive about walking in on my own I'm just gonna do it take the first step

Welcome to the Rooms, Jolene. You will feel safe & welcomed in no time.

All the best.

Bob R

Carlotta 05-15-2013 09:52 AM

Hi Jolene,

If no one gets back to you you might have to take the jump yourself, as an AA member I can assure you that you will be completely safe and that the people going are just regular folks like you and I.
Here is a link which might alleviate some of the AA jitters for you.
How to Get Through Your First Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting
and here is a more elaborate one
Your First AA Meeting<

:welcome

Sasha4 05-15-2013 10:14 AM

If I was near you, I would come with you.

I have never ever seen anyone get a frosty reception when they go back to AA.

I once went back after a whole year away.

Nothing was said they were just super pleased to see me and I was super pleased to see them too. It was great.

Please go.
Even if you go on your own, please go.

I promise you will feel better.

Will you let me know how it went?

My best
xx

jolene22976 05-16-2013 08:38 AM

thanks im trying to pm a private message but it won't let me someone was going to go with me i chickened out last night theres a meeting on saturday i know i need to go and let my journey begin x

jolene22976 05-16-2013 08:39 AM

ill keep you posted so glad i found this site x

Coldfusion 05-16-2013 08:41 AM

:welcome

You can send a PM after five posts...

Saturday seems like a long time to have to wait for a meeting... I wish you all the best!

jolene22976 05-18-2013 03:44 PM

i did it i went thats my first step and im soo happy im sober today and ive been to a meeting

Dee74 05-18-2013 03:47 PM

good for you jolene :)

D

awuh1 05-18-2013 03:48 PM

That's really good news. Thanks for the update. I'm glad it went well.

DisplacedGRITS 05-18-2013 04:46 PM

Good for you! Your first meeting is hard. I had a hard time coming back to AA after a relapse. I had my tail between my legs bug they were welcoming as always. Don't ever be afraid of an AA meeting. There are good folk there who will love you for you.

YouRmySunshine 05-18-2013 04:56 PM

You not alone, once you walk in those doors. Honest. Prayers to you!