SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello, I am new here. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294684-hello-i-am-new-here.html)

DirtyRiverMan 05-14-2013 04:14 PM

Hello, I am new here.

Hi. 'Im the Dirty River Man, and I am a sloppy drunk.

My first drink was a Black Russian when I was 12, and I will never forget that first buzz. I am 48 years old and have been chasing that feeling for 36 years.

I am tired of chasing feelings. (And hiding from them)
I am tired of shame.
I am tired of feeling bad.
I am tired of pretending I remember things I did or said.
I am tired of being the sloppy drunk in my group.
Actually, I am tired of my group.

No more drinking the memories away.
Time to get sober, get healthy, and live a full life.

I am quitting alcohol because I want a new life. I am also quitting because if I do not quit, I will not live to see 60 and I know it. The health problems are pilling up. I had Colon Cancer last summer and beat it.............I hope. I have many other health problems caused by a lifetime of hard drinking.

So anyway. Hello everyone. I am glad to be here and look forward to meeting all of you and hopefully find the support I know I will need, and offer support to those having a rougher time than me.

Dollyangel17 05-14-2013 04:22 PM

Welcome! Congrats on taking the first step. You will find this board to be helpful in staying focused on sobriety. Keep posting and reading...it helps!:welcome

Hevyn 05-14-2013 04:23 PM

Welcome DirtyRiverMan. We're so glad to have you join the family. You've made a wise decision.

What you said about chasing the euphoria of that first drink is so true. I spent many years trying to recapture the feeling of my early drinking days. Instead of trying to escape from problems, I wish I'd faced life head on. I was in my 50's when I came limping in here - and things finally changed. I found the courage to stop. You can do it, DirtyRiverMan - we want to help. :)

Anna 05-14-2013 04:35 PM

Welcome,

I'm glad you know that you need to stop drinking. It's the best thing you can for peace of mind and for your physical health, too.

MissMushroom 05-14-2013 04:38 PM

Welcome,

I wish you congratulations and happiness in your new sober life.

x

Lovelivelaugh 05-14-2013 04:41 PM

Hi DRM! You sound like you have turned a corner and ready to make some changes! Very exciting times for you. That is great news about beating colon cancer, hoping you stay healthy! Best of luck in your journey without alcohol.. You will find lots of support here :) be well x

Dee74 05-14-2013 04:42 PM

Welcome DRM :)
D

bigsombrero 05-14-2013 04:49 PM

Hey DRM -

Is that dirty river the ole' Mississip'? Anyway, welcome. I am 10 years your junior, and I just started recovery this year also. I have made it over 10 months sober, and I can tell you it's worth it. If you stick with it, you will notice the specifics and it's exciting to talk about the benefits here as well. Good luck!

DirtyRiverMan 05-14-2013 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes! :thanks

Bigsombrero - That is the Arkansas River, which feeds the Mighty Mississippi. :)

bigsombrero 05-14-2013 05:12 PM

Cool - I grew up in the state where the Mississippi starts....even took a family trip up north and stood with one foot on each side of the river at the spring in Itasca. All those rivers sure get a lot bigger when they are down your way!

DirtyRiverMan 05-14-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigsombrero (Post 3966253)
Cool -even took a family trip up north and stood with one foot on each side of the river at the spring in Itasca.

That is so cool! That is one of the things on my Bucket list! :)