Notices

Is alcohol addiction genetic? What do u think?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is alcohol addiction genetic? What do u think?

Just been catching up on another thread and the reading prompted me to question myself and my family - is alcohol addiction genetic? Is having addictive personality and behaviours heredity? Would love to hear my fellow friends views on this!!
I'm still sober by the way ) it's 9pm and I'm sober - eaten loads and drunk 2 pints of cranberry juice though lol xx
Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have heard that, and a fair amount of evidence to support it in my family: All 4 grandparents alcoholics, both parents too. Thankfully, both my parents quit a very long time ago...they have about 40 years sobriety under their belts!

And of course there is me...
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It matters not a whit to me. Why I'm an alcoholic has little to do with my recovery.

Maybe if I had kids I'd be concerned.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think research points to a genetic component, but environmental factors also appear to play a significant role. The point is that even if our ancestors were alcoholics that does not mean we will be an alcoholic, and even if our ancestors were not alcoholics that does not mean we won't be an alcoholic.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do not think that alcohol addiction per-say is genetic. Addiction is more common in some brains though, and this appears to be genetic (whether it's alcohol or cocaine). The neurotransmitter dopamine (a chemical in your brain associated with awards and a feel-good feeling) plays a large role in addiction. Alcohol makes your brain release dopamine, but it might not make it release as much as it does in others (maybe why some need 8 drinks to feel as happy as someone that just has 1). Some people may have a dopamine deficiency and seek out extra dopamine in drugs. Genetic predisposition cannot be used as a crutch for alcoholism though, people can experience dopamine release through running and other healthy practices. I hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic replies thanks so much! It seems strange to have so much thinking time, I used to be pretty drunk by this time of the evening xx