Notices

Surprise Surprise Surprise

Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surprise Surprise Surprise

I "decided" to hang out at a pub for three years after getting laid off from my last job. Almost all the people I met there and hung out with were/are alcoholics.

I stopped hanging out at the pub when I decided to stop drinking on 3/31/13. Last weekend I dropped by the pub for a hamburger and the usual crowd was there. They all asked where I've been and could they buy me a beer? I said no thanks I'm just having a burger. (I've found it a lot easier to never tell anyone I stopped drinking, but to just stop drinking and let them figure it out by my actions.)

After awhile they figured it out. What surprised me was how many looked at me in awe. Some said that they've tried to quit before, some congratulated me, some looked at me with envy, etc. All comments were positive. This surprised me. It seemed to me that all knew that they had a drinking problem but in three years NO ONE ever talked about it. They talked about their hangovers as though they were badges of honor. I never understood this.

I always knew that I was "slumming it" and would some day stop drinking or moderate. Over time I discovered that I didn't "have a talent" (Credit Pete Hamill) for moderation, so I quit.

Anyway, it seems to me there are a lot of drinkers who know they have a problem but ignore it, AND they respect a person who address the problem. They have an opportunity to earn their own respect. Maybe they don't see it.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We're a little in the same boat. My last drink was 25 March 2013. I too sat around at the local dive bar drinking myself stupid, but I did it for many many years. It was a really rough start and there's still very rough times, but I'm starting to enjoy this sober thing. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad your buddies seemed to understand and support your sobriety.