Notices

I need major major help. Tulsa OK

Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need major major help. Tulsa OK

Hi! I'm an alcoholic. When I try to stop drinking, I shake, my heart races, I sweat, etc. I am worried that I will have a heart attack or seizure. I tried tapering off (MANY times), but that just doesn't work for me. I have one to stop the shakes, and that feels good, so I have two. Then I feel GREAT, so I have three.

I have a loving family (husband and two kids) and am not in any legal trouble. But I drink way way way too much (2 bottles of wine daily), and it's going to kill me. I realize at this point that it is an obsession that I cannot control, and need to quit entirely.

Over the past week, I have made hundreds of phone calls looking for outpatient detox. I have found some that were just for recently released inmates. Some that are just for Indians. Some that are just for pregnant or nursing Moms on public assistance.

I went to an AA meeting yesterday and was advised to call the Laureate clinic. I did, and was told they have no outpatient services for people who are still drinking. I was in rehab once before, and it almost destroyed my family.

Please, please tell me where I can go in the Tulsa area for outpatient help and detox. I can't believe I am at this point again. This time, I will do whatever it takes to stay sober. Even if it means daily AA and/or therapy.

Other than this addiction, I have a great life. I don't want to ruin it. The only outpatient place I found after so many phone calls was 12 and 12, and they cost mega bucks, but worse, they require someone to drive me to and from for five days and sign me in and out. I don't have such a person.

Is there anyone who will just give me medication to detox and then therapy/support/referrals as needed?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you spoken with a Doctor? They can prescribe the same medications that an outpatient clinic would, but that is all predicated on you going to be checked out. They may recommend detox too, so be ready for that.

Most outpatient programs won't service active drinkers for the very same fears you have in your initial sentence - all the possible withdrawal symptoms that can happen. Last thing they want is to send you home and then have you end up in the ER on their watch.

To quote you "This time, I will do whatever it takes to stay sober". If inpatient detox is the only option, is that not included in "whatever it takes?".
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To quote you "This time, I will do whatever it takes to stay sober". If inpatient detox is the only option, is that not included in "whatever it takes?".[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. My husband will leave me and take the kids if he realizes how much I am drinking. Last time, his Mom had to fly out here from the East Coast and stay with my family. We can't do that again. I will do whatever it takes to STAY sober, and protect my family. I am at the end of my rope here.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OK, try to slow down. Schedule an appointment to go see your doctor. He can help you with medicine and after you detox you can get to an outpatient program. Just make sure you are honest with him/her about your drinking so he can make informed decisions.
I really understand your desire to protect your family. When I decided to get sober all I wanted to do was keep my family together. It was very noble but it also was not enough to keep me sober. I had to do it because I wanted it. You cannot "protect" your family when you are still drinking and an active alcoholic. The things you worry about, like your husband leaving you, may still happen if you keep drinking. All you can do is get sober, whatever it takes, and than deal with the consequences with a clear mind.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that talking to your dr would be a good place to start.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ask your doctor for help in getting thru detox. They may prescribe meds to keep you safe. Then get yourself into a program, AA or another one, and make sobriety your goal in life. YOu can do this!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by EarthMama9 View Post
No, it's not. My husband will leave me and take the kids if he realizes how much I am drinking. Last time, his Mom had to fly out here from the East Coast and stay with my family. We can't do that again. I will do whatever it takes to STAY sober, and protect my family. I am at the end of my rope here.
I think your only option is to see your doctor then if you choose to hide it from everyone. Based on your current symptoms when you try to quit, and the fact that subsequent detoxes can be progressively worse, i doubt you'll find an outpatient program that will take you - it's just too big a risk.