Notices

Time to Diet?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to Diet?

I'm approaching a month sober again. This time I've noticed weight gain as opposed to loss last time. I'm overweight and always have been. Do you think the added stress of a diet would be detrimental to me?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If dieting is stessful for you, there is a chance that it could become detrimental. Be careful.

I've never had a weight problem, so perhaps I am not the best person for advice.

Is there a way you could approach weight loss without stressing yourself? Focus on healthy food choices and portions, not dieting. Add some daily walking to your routine, seek to burn more calories, but also to add it as a fun activity now that your aren't drinking.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Terribob.

It depends what you mean by diet. If you just switch to healthy eating, changing eating habits gradually, taking one day at a time (yes, works here too), it won't be stress, but your body will thank you)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Terribob,

I am at two weeks sober, and I joined Weight Watchers 2 days after I stopped drinking because I have been overweight for a long time and was never successful with dieting because off all the booze calories I was taking in.

I expected to lose so much weight the first week because of the diet and no alcohol, but I actually gained a pound!!!! I think it may have been my body rehydrating as some suggested, because this week the scale started going down.

Now that being said....I probably should have waited before focusing so much on dieting because when I saw that gain I was so frustrated I almost drank...thankfully I did not!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, Terribob.

It depends what you mean by diet. If you just switch to healthy eating, changing eating habits gradually, taking one day at a time (yes, works here too), it won't be stress, but your body will thank you)
Yes, this should actually make you feel better. You should not starve yourself or make unsustainable changes, which means don't do anything that you wouldn't be able to do permanently.

I would pretty much do these things...

1) Cut out all processed foods. This means refined sugar and it's hidden forms ( things with high fructose corn syrup ), anything that has a ton of ingredients that sound like they come from a lab, instant meals, frozen foods, most cereals etc...

2) start eating fruit and vegetables, a lot of it, for every meal you should have a side of fruit or two or vegetables, or both.

3) If you do grains make sure they are whole grains and eat them in moderation.

4) limit caffeine, sugar and of course I don't need to say avoid alcohol, that's a given here. Drink plenty of water or tea throughout the day, fruit juice is really not that great, avoid it and eat the actual fruit instead.

5) I don't have a problem with meat, make lean choices like chicken or fish.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Terribob,

I gained weight when I sobered up too. My main goal was to stop drinking so I used food to get through the first few months. I had sugar cravings like crazy and I figure that was better than alcohol craving. I think it was about 4 months and I went on a major diet.

I did start exercising (running and weightlifting) earlier. This helped with the mood swings and irritability. It also probably helped me not gain as much weight.

It's a fine line... For me gaining 10 to 15 pounds was worth it and helped me through. Others may gain weight and lose self confidence. Go with your gut-feeling because I bet you already know what is right for you.

Good luck and congrats on a month.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Terribob,

I'm just 3.5 months into my sobriety. During the first 30 days of quitting alcohol, I didn't lose any weight either. Then right after that first month is when I changed my diet. I started to really focus on eating very healthy and watched my calorie intake and also focused on exercise. It actually really helped me emotionally because it gave me something else to focus on, instead of the absence of alcohol, I changed that focus to eating healthy. The added benefit is that I started feeling even better,and started to lose weight.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

One of my friends who was a big woman lost over 70 pounds in 9 months just by reducing her portion sizes. She still eats the same (she was a healthy eater to start with but would stack her plate and go for seconds), will have cake or whatever but just eat a normal portion size.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I remember a Garfield comic strip where Garfield observes that diet is actually Die with a T on the end of it... MMM lasagna! If you feel ready go for. As the wise posters above mentioned, you do have to be ready and make sure your not overly stressing yourself. To me its kind of like building a house, you have to make sure the foundation is solid and well build before you start putting the rest of it together.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think I'll try some small changes to start. Getting off booze might be enough for me for now. Strange though that just a few months ago I lost weight when I quit drinking...
Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I have the same problem as you (I think). I'm newly sober and need to lose weight as well. My counselor said don't put so much stress on yourself (because it does cause me stress) and focus first on staying sober. One thing at a time. I'm just trying to do the best I can to make good food choices. If I flub up sometimes, oh well, I move on and try not to worry about it. It's progress, not perfection.