SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294608-hello.html)

vasiliki 05-13-2013 09:43 PM

Hello

Hello All

I'm new here and on my 4th day sober!

Not feeling a need to drink but not feeling great either. Hot sweats, light fever and waking up every morning with "hangover" like symptoms.

I guess this is all normal?

I look forward to reading more information on the forum.

Grungehead 05-13-2013 09:46 PM

Welcome and congrats on 4 days sober. Yes it sounds like you are having mild-moderate withdrawal symptoms which are normal. Keep coming back and keep us up to date on how things are going. This is a great site for information and support.

Dee74 05-13-2013 10:20 PM

welcome vasiliki :)

sounds normal but don't hesitate to see a Dr if you feel concerned :)

D

DainBramaged 05-13-2013 11:02 PM

I felt a lot better at day 5 or 6..

vasiliki 05-14-2013 01:10 AM

Thanks Braindamaged, thats encouraging to know....

Bruce292 05-14-2013 04:07 AM

During the first few weeks I woke up feeling like I had a hangover. It was more like batteries had run low and I just couldn't get moving. Hang in there.

flutter 05-14-2013 05:52 AM

Welcome :)

AugustWest11 05-14-2013 05:55 AM

Welcome :) Allot of good folks here .. I wish I was already at day 4 :p

vasiliki 05-14-2013 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 (Post 3965240)
Welcome :) Allot of good folks here .. I wish I was already at day 4 :p

AugustWest it took me a long while to get here too with lots of determination first thing in the morning but by half way thru the day........ you know the story.

vasiliki 05-14-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce292 (Post 3965090)
During the first few weeks I woke up feeling like I had a hangover. It was more like batteries had run low and I just couldn't get moving. Hang in there.

Bruce when that passed did you wake up feeling fresh and remembering the reason you quit drinking? i've forgotten what that feels like and i was maybe expecting too much to think that by day 4 i should be feeling better in the mornings...

Jeni26 05-14-2013 10:16 AM

Hi and welcome to SR x

:welcome

Everyone's experiences of the early days are different, but one thing is for certain... it does get better. I had a few days of feeling completely zoned out, but then my last drinking experience was a bad one. It took a bit longer than 4 days for the anxiety, hot sweats and shakes to go. But by the end of the first week I started to feel physically better although my mind was in a fog for a bit longer than that.

I think we have to be patient and kind to ourselves. Drink plenty of water, and do some exercise.

Remember though, don't fall into that trap of when you start feeling better of thinking its ok to drink again.

Remember how you feel right now. Another drink will put you straight back there. I speak from experience!

Keep posting. We all care and we all understand x

bryangt 05-14-2013 10:23 AM

It gets easier & better with time. Give yourself time to get used to it...it takes as long as it 's going to take....

vasiliki 05-14-2013 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jeni26 (Post 3965604)
Hi and welcome to SR x

:welcome

Everyone's experiences of the early days are different, but one thing is for certain... it does get better. I had a few days of feeling completely zoned out, but then my last drinking experience was a bad one. It took a bit longer than 4 days for the anxiety, hot sweats and shakes to go. But by the end of the first week I started to feel physically better although my mind was in a fog for a bit longer than that.

I think we have to be patient and kind to ourselves. Drink plenty of water, and do some exercise.

Remember though, don't fall into that trap of when you start feeling better of thinking its ok to drink again.

Remember how you feel right now. Another drink will put you straight back there. I speak from experience!

Keep posting. We all care and we all understand x

Thank you very much Jeni. Yes mind in a fog - i'm right there. I can't seem to hold a thought for more than a second and trying to work full time, with a young child and household etc its not easy but then again i was doing a worse job at juggling it all before.....

can you ever reach a point where you can drink socially or does is just lead to a slippery slope straight back?

Jeni26 05-14-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by vasiliki (Post 3965627)

can you ever reach a point where you can drink socially or does is just lead to a slippery slope straight back?

The latter...sorry if that isn't what you want to hear!x