SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Daily Mental Struggle FOREVER?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294554-daily-mental-struggle-forever.html)

Chilledice 05-13-2013 11:26 AM

Daily Mental Struggle FOREVER??

Hey guys new here, i tried yesturday but fell but now Its a monday and i have had zero booze all day and will be trying to get an early night tonight!

Anyways my question is, do you feel that you have to fight through cravings every single day? Do you need to be constantly plucking up courage and willpower? Is it always a struggle? I am just hopeful that someday i wont even think about drinking but right now on day 1 ughhhh my mind is telling me go on drink you will feel better! feel like i am going CRAZY!!!!!!:c004::react

ScottFromWI 05-13-2013 11:29 AM

It gets better over time. I am by no means a veteran of sobriety, but I can say that after several months i really don't get cravings much at all anymore.

Having said that, your immediate issue should be just getting done with today and day 1. Worry about Day 2 tomorrow. Are you seeking any local help for your initial detox?

DAB 05-13-2013 11:32 AM

I don't even think about drinking anymore. It does get easier.
Sometimes I have triggers but they are few and far between.
I go to AA weekly, and work the steps. That is what made the difference between this time and other times I have stopped. Before I resented being sober, this time I enjoy it and I am grateful for it!

Chilledice 05-13-2013 11:34 AM

No i dont really have any additional support apart from my family who have been great around me! I dont really get withdrawls in a physical sense just an emotional mess when i dont drink! I feel like crying, shouting, ranting and raging or laughing my head off im all over the place and aaaaaaaaaaall day ive been fighting temptation to get some beer!

mecanix 05-13-2013 11:34 AM

I haven't had a craving for over 8 months .. I'm 18 months into my new life . I remain vigilant though of both complacency and urges ..

Bestwishes, M

ScottFromWI 05-13-2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chilledice (Post 3963865)
No i dont really have any additional support apart from my family who have been great around me! I dont really get withdrawls in a physical sense just an emotional mess when i dont drink! I feel like crying, shouting, ranting and raging or laughing my head off im all over the place and aaaaaaaaaaall day ive been fighting temptation to get some beer!

Well, you are more than welcome to rant, rave and generally share whatever you like around here. Anything to keep from picking up...and help fight the temptation to get more beer. You know exactly where that will end up, right?

ACT10Npack 05-13-2013 11:37 AM

It does take time to get for the cravings goes away. If you find it too hard to do. Go to your doctor about this and he/she will give you med to stop the cravings. It's for short term use. Good luck!

Chilledice 05-13-2013 11:37 AM

Thanks i do appreciate it :) I know all too well where it will end up! Me feeling depressed crying into a bottle listening to sad songs thinking about the past and things i cant change and then i wake up in the morning feeling like death and doing it aaaaaall over again

Hevyn 05-13-2013 11:38 AM

No, chilledice - not forever - we promise. I drank all my life and even though the beginning was a challenge, it rarely crosses my mind now. Once we get past the triggers & over the hurdles early on, we know we can rise above it. Please don't be discouraged - you can do this.

MidnightBlue 05-13-2013 11:38 AM

Chilled, it will get easier.

You are going through first days of sobriety, they are really tough. But you have to go through them to get to better place.

Don't listen to your mind, addictive voice and any other voices telling you into getting booze. Protect your sobriety, it will save you, your health, your look, you life.

Believe me or not, but tomorrow's my birthday but I don't even think about drinking Champaigne which I just loved. I don't want it.

Hold on. Nobody got crazy due to sobriety yet)

Keep posting, take care.

Torso 05-13-2013 11:39 AM

Sorry your back at day 1 chilledice... but nevermind, doesn't mean it's not possible.
I think it depends on your commitment to sobriety.
Everytime i've tried before i've spent all my time pre-occupied with cravings. Thoughts of drinking. Doubting whether I really have a problem or not just days after going through crazy withdrawals.

This time I came at it completely determined. I've been on SR ALOT and I have to say it's been easier. When I'm not here I've got on with stuff and not just sat procrastinating because I know then I'll stop and think about drinking.... also it feels good getting so much done!

Chilledice 05-13-2013 11:43 AM

Thanks guys i really do appreciate the support, thank you all so so much! I just freak out when i have to face my problems without my so called ' friend ' I was super fit and healthy before and it would be great to get back to that, right now i am just holding on and trying to get through this evening, just threw out some cider i found in my house, i put it straight in the bin!

MidnightBlue HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow :You_Rock_:a122:

Torso 05-13-2013 11:49 AM

Best place for it!

Chilledice 05-13-2013 11:52 AM

Im thinking about cooking a curry :) i love super hot curries so im thinking about chopping some ghost chillies up and putting them in there, just to take my mind off :) stuff going on a diet right now lol

MidnightBlue 05-13-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chilledice (Post 3963886)
right now i am just holding on and trying to get through this evening, just threw out some cider i found in my house, i put it straight in the bin!

That's exactly how it works - hold on and get through. And great job with tossing cider! Just think how great it will be to wake up tomorrow hangover-free, welcoming sun and moving forward to your regained health, fitness, and much better future.

ScottFromWI 05-13-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chilledice (Post 3963897)
Im thinking about cooking a curry :) i love super hot curries so im thinking about chopping some ghost chillies up and putting them in there, just to take my mind off :) stuff going on a diet right now lol

Cooking is one of my favorite things to do, anything to keep busy and keep your mind off it is great. Another thing that was a big benefit to sobriety for me was that I could taste things again. When I was actively drinking every day, I think my tastebuds got fried or something. For whatever reason, even plain foods like an apple seem to have a lot more flavor.

Easy on the Ghost Chile's - that will certainly take your mind of anything else but putting out the fire in your mouth!

Chilledice 05-13-2013 12:05 PM

You are so right! Tomorrow i will wake up hangover free knowing that i achieved a day of soberiety! I just felt really weird these last couple of hours but i do know that if i drink tonight i will only wake up tomorrow morning dissapointed and then having to start at day 1 AGAIN which i really dont wanna do! I dont wanna go through this again lol

Chilledice 05-13-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 3963911)
Cooking is one of my favorite things to do, anything to keep busy and keep your mind off it is great. Another thing that was a big benefit to sobriety for me was that I could taste things again. When I was actively drinking every day, I think my tastebuds got fried or something. For whatever reason, even plain foods like an apple seem to have a lot more flavor.

Easy on the Ghost Chile's - that will certainly take your mind of anything else but putting out the fire in your mouth!

Yeah they do say that booze numbs the tastes buds, i have had that happend to me before, was really weird! Cooking is so great for taking ones mind off things! However, guess what i LOVED doing while cooking? yep that's right a beer at the same time! But this time round i have some american soda or cola which i will drink instead :)

AugustWest11 05-13-2013 12:20 PM

Hey Chilled; Day 2 and from my previous attempt I can say for me the urge truly left when I stopped focusing on it :) I only had 60 days that time; but I went to an open bar party and enjoyed the people I was with and didn't think of the alcohol so the urge never hit me .. Or I told my mind that; either or just try not to focus on it and Cook some good food :D then ship it here cause I am actually starving now lol

2granddaughters 05-13-2013 12:25 PM

I got to the point where the only thing left that worked was AA. And it worked well.

All the best.

Bob R