Notices

Daily Mental Struggle FOREVER??

Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post

Anyways my question is, do you feel that you have to fight through cravings every single day?
no
many get over them fairly quickly
sure
some such as Dr Bob ((AA founder))
may have the cravings for a couple of years
but
this is very uncommon
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
Hey Chilled; Day 2 and from my previous attempt I can say for me the urge truly left when I stopped focusing on it I only had 60 days that time; but I went to an open bar party and enjoyed the people I was with and didn't think of the alcohol so the urge never hit me .. Or I told my mind that; either or just try not to focus on it and Cook some good food then ship it here cause I am actually starving now lol
I gotta say the cooking is taking my mind off, easing it a little

I will send some your way but duuuuuuuude this curry is SUPER hot lol ten ghost chillies ive put in there lol
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Right im goona go cook my curry now, thanks SOOOOOOOOO much guys for helping me pull through it really did help! i was SO close to buying a pack of 8 stellas! I havnt tho!

Thanks again everyone
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Chilled,

Firstly, welcome!

Re cravings - or even 'just' thoughts or urges (I tend to see and experience them on a sliding scale of intensity: thought, urge, craving): you might find it helpful to read up a lot on what alcohol does to our brains, deep inside in the primitive part, the mid-brain.

Right here on SR, there are some very informative sticky posts above the main posting sub-forums. I'm thinking of one called Excerpts from 'Under the Influence', for one. Also, the one about Urge Surfing. Can't recall exactly which sub-forum they're in, but others or a mod will point you there.

Also, you might find it helpful to read all the way through the AVRT threads in SR's Secular Connections forum.

You will get through, and good on you for trying!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I gotta say the cooking is taking my mind off, easing it a little

I will send some your way but duuuuuuuude this curry is SUPER hot lol ten ghost chillies ive put in there lol
If you read any of my other random posts; I have a unique stomach to go w\ my metabolism lol I use to live on "Suicide Buffalo" wings in my home town .. Which was 6 notches up the "hotness" rung .. Nuclear being the last & I must say I could barely smell them w\ out tears :p lol & Enjoy ..
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Chilldice. I understand your concern. I'm 3 months sober, after 7 years of continual daily wine drinking. I too was concerned at the thought of spending the rest of my life craving. Reading SR I was relieved to read the craving lessens over time. I can now vouch for that. I personally spent the first few weeks craving. But thankfully the daily craving has subsided. I would never have believed that habit (coming in the door from working, opening that bottle of wine) would end. Only 3 months on, and yes, I do still get the cravings, but more sporadic and over less period of time. I know how important it is to hear that. It helped me refrain from picking up. So wanted to share that with you. I wish you all the best. My life in such little time, has changed for the best dramatically. I wish that for you too.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have not craved a drink for over 5 years now
not once since that last drink have I had a craving
but
my last drink brought with it -- many many problems

yes -- for most it takes one hell of a bottom
Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Me feeling depressed crying into a bottle listening to sad songs thinking about the past and things i cant change
I read something the other day that now sober makes complete sense to me. There was a story about a girl who owned a dog and the dog was tied to a cable run so it could run back and forth all day. One evening they let the dog free from the cable but the dog continued to run back and forth unaware of his new found freedom. He was doing what he had always done.

That is kind of how I felt. I have been running back and forth and never realized all this time that I was free to leave.

Yeah they do say that booze numbs the tastes buds, i have had that happend to me before, was really weird! Cooking is so great for taking ones mind off things! However, guess what i LOVED doing while cooking? yep that's right a beer at the same time! But this time round i have some american soda or cola which i will drink instead
Booze numbs everything.

I also love to cook and like you had a drink in hand. It used to take me hours to cook because I kept stopping to rest and drink, rest and drink. It seemed like cooking was exhausting and took forever...lol

Not anymore. I just cook and before I know it the dinner is ready! I have to start learning to cook later in the day on the weekends as it does not take me 3/4 of the day to make something anymore...lol
Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hey guys new here, i tried yesturday but fell but now Its a monday and i have had zero booze all day and will be trying to get an early night tonight!

Anyways my question is, do you feel that you have to fight through cravings every single day? Do you need to be constantly plucking up courage and willpower? Is it always a struggle? I am just hopeful that someday i wont even think about drinking but right now on day 1 ughhhh my mind is telling me go on drink you will feel better! feel like i am going CRAZY!!!!!!
Initially, sure it was a struggle. Alcohol was my solution, and without it I was in trouble. I was also obviously in trouble with it too, of course. Not drinking can be tough working thru the addiction ambivalence, but this will eventually be worked out, sweated out, and whatever else is required for you personally. The only way to know what is required for you personally is to know by experience - and that requires you to quit drinking to discover what works for you.

Quitting is always the answer. Drinking is never the answer. Go with that simple enough start, and then just keep doing the next right thing to discover what works for you, and what kind of help you may need to ensure you don't drink again. Its really that simple, although it often feels like the friggin' apocalypse is happening!

Don't drink, and take a look around, and see what fits for YOU. Don't look back, and keep on going...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
Hi Chilled,

Re cravings - or even 'just' thoughts or urges (I tend to see and experience them on a sliding scale of intensity: thought, urge, craving):
Great way of looking at it, Bemyself.
I see my thoughts and urges as "craving"

Thinking about it, my early days were craving - mouth salivating for chilled glass of wine.

Now my feelings are less intense, more so urges and thoughts I guess.