SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Made it through detox! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294534-made-through-detox.html)

au457 05-13-2013 08:21 AM

Made it through detox!

It wasn't intentional for me. I had no plan to quit drinking, however I had to quit drinking for a kidney stone removal and the meds that were requred for recovery. That was 4 days in.

Day 5 I went back to work, and had a disorientation spell at the end of the day. Had a friend drive me home that day. Took the next day off (6) to see doctor about high blood pressure and wham! That is when my detox started because I blacked out and the doctor recognized the sign.

Was in hospital 5 days, had siezure on day 7 or 8. I don't even know because I was out of it. One thing I remember is I came around a bit and found my hands and feet strapped down. Not a good memory.

I am at home now. 11 days alcohol free. Never plan to do that again. Have my first AA meeting tonight. I am free and plan to stay that way. I know it will be a long journey, but I am positive I can do it.

Just my little bit of info and an introduction to my story. BTW: I was drinking a pint a day for the last 3 years.

Len

least 05-13-2013 08:30 AM

:welcome to SR! And congrats on your eleven days. I'm sorry you had such a bad detox but at least you're sober now and determined to stay that way.:)

doggonecarl 05-13-2013 09:13 AM

Thanks for your post. Lot of people coming here for the first time seem to question the advice to see a doctor and quit under a doctor's supervision. Your experience is why that is suggested.

Dee74 05-13-2013 02:42 PM

Welcome to SR Len :)

D

Opivotal 05-13-2013 03:10 PM

Welcome au457 and Congratulations on 11 days! I'm happy to hear you're at home and safely detoxed. :)

Let us know how the Meeting goes.

Best Wishes To You!

au457 05-14-2013 09:33 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome!

My first meeting went well. Got to meet a lot of people with the same problem as me and hearing their personal stories sounded very similar to mine.

I would definitely recommend medical supervision when going through detox because you are on a fine line between life and death. I didn't know that until I researched the subject after my experience.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

One day at a time!

Len

bryangt 05-14-2013 09:40 AM

Wow! That there is proof that things happen for a reason. Be proud that you accepted your condition and plan to make a positive out of a negative. way to go & keep it up!

Lorax1981 05-14-2013 09:50 AM

Thanks for sharing. I was a beer drinker and stopped drinking one day and was lucky to not have any major problems. I was only prepared for the difficulties of not drinking and not for any medical problems. It's important to know how dangerous it can be and to always talk to a doc first. Glad you made it and that you joined SR.
-Ted

Anna 05-14-2013 09:51 AM

I'm really glad things worked out well for you.