Notices

Let's say someone invented a pill...

Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

well, my thinking is, if one pill works well, why not take two, maybe three of them.....?

nah, I'll pass
Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
well, my thinking is, if one pill works well, why not take two, maybe three of them.....?

nah, I'll pass
Like the old patent medicines ad?! One for a man, two for a horse".
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cool concept Genie. At the end of the day, I would say no for me on the pill. My sobriety and all the misery that came before it have taught me lessons that I used to regret, but now really appreciate. Everything that I've weathered through to this day has made my sober life now feel all the more precious.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If there was a magical pill that let me drink like "normal people" that might be intriguing. But a pill that merely sobered me up and blocked all the negative health consequences of drinking wouldn't help me all that much if it didn't give me the ability to control my consumption. At my peak I estimate that as much as 20%-25% of my net income every year went to alcohol (!), so there's that. Once I started, I would still drink til everything was gone. I'd still be buying three or four bottles of wine a day. I'd still lose hours into a black hole. I'd be spending all the same money on booze plus whatever the drug cost on top of it.

So in a way it would be cool to be able to give the Beast free reign, but even without the health problems it would still be bad for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grateful

Deeker:

Who needs God if everything is going great? I think God loves us so much that he uses our addiction trying to get our attention.
caboblanco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeker

I think God loves us so much that he uses our addiction trying to get our attention.
oh please. I hope you don't really think that
deeker:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboblanco
oh please. I hope you don't really think that
I didn't say he gave me the addiction , he used it to make me realize my need for Him. What do you care what i think?
Interesting...I started reading the posts on this thread and that exact phrase by deeker hit me like a ton of bricks. I guess I've never thought about it that way, but somehow deep inside it seems to makes sense to me when read in the right context.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful

As far as the pill, I think I would prefer a pill that would keep me sober rather than a pill that would allow me to drink.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'd like to say my answer would be no, but if there truly was this magical pill that removed ALL negative consequences from drinking I know myself. Of course I'd take it. It's just a fantasy answer though, there is and never will be such a pill. Dammit

Seriously though, some really nice responses here and it's good to see how many people would have the willpower to resist.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
jkb

If this pill is going ot allow me to be "normal" like sure I can have just one or two and be satisfied.... sign me up. If I still overdrink but, there are no "consenquences" eg: hangovers or blackouts etc... I will pass. I dont like using alcohol as some crutch not to deal with reality.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I guess when I started this thread my thinking was a pill that let us drink like normal people. I would take that one - why? Because I like the taste of wine - and trying various vintages and grapes. I could care less about beer. I like the occasional spirit and a martini. But my DOC is red wine.

Oh well - it's not going to happen, at least not in my lifetime. However, science is amazing and who knows what might be invented down the line.

Thanks for all the responses, it is an interesting read.

Genie