Notices

Any thoughts

Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 May 2013

Hi All, well my seventh day is drawing to a close. Tomorrow will be my eighth day, and so on I guess (one day at a time assuming I remain strong which I would like to think I will). I just keep focusing on the future, on the benefits of staying away from alcohol. Keeping busy really helps, and I am avoiding idle moments as it is at times like these that it's easy to start again.

I'm curious; I've endured addictions all of my adult life. I'm 50, and I don't even know what kind of person I would be without some kind of mind-altering substance. I understand that I am a very, very long way from being out of the woods, but this curiosity is one of the incentives for me. As an Alcoholic I have never really thought much of myself. Is this common? I would like to hear from any of you who have experienced mental and physical changes as time passed and you abstained.

A lot of you posted positive messages and advice and I would hope that, assuming I stay sober (which I will I hope), I will be able to return the favour and help others as that is a part of the healing process.

Again, thanks to all, and thanks to SR for being there.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't know who I'd be sober - and my self worth was down about as far as it could be after decades of self abuse.

After a little while tho, I began to remember a me I'd totally forgotten, before the drugs and booze. I re-discovered that person.

My self-worth came back too as I did more and more positive things with my life.

You'll be ok Darren

D
Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 May 2013

Thanks Dee, I've been looking forward to some subtle (though not necessarily life-changing) improvements, but I don't want to keep my hopes too high.

That said, I feel much better already, and only just after 7 days
Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Darren. I agree with what Dee said - I discovered the long lost me, too. Had to dig down deep to find her - but gradually she emerged.

I had used alcohol to cope forever. I was always shy & self-conscious & drinking seemed like an answer. I didn't learn to deal with life properly - I didn't grow into the person I was meant to be. I had to do that in my 50's like you are. I'm sure you'll love the results of being fully aware and clear headed every day. No more phoning it in for us.

Great job on your 7 days - proud of you.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12 May 2013

Thanks Hevyn. Your post made me think, WHY? Why did I drink? and the honest answer is I don't really know. I'm not shy or lacking in confidence. I guess I just enjoyed the "High", stupid but true. Also unluckily for me I rarely suffered from hangovers so that was one thing less to worry about.

Note: Hey! I'm using the past tense when talking about my drinking