SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Had 60 days Sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294398-had-60-days-sober.html)

AugustWest11 05-12-2013 03:10 AM

Had 60 days Sober

But then last week threw it all away . Thought I could "rebound" but just got done drinking for 3 days straight and now am wondering where to go from here ..:gaah

Chilledice 05-12-2013 03:13 AM

AugustWest 11

I am new to this whole recovery thing, just started today to try and get sober so maybe my advice is not ' expert ' advice, However what i will say is that you managed SIxTY DAYS being sober!!! Now that is a fantastic achievment in my opinion. You have proved to yourself that you can quit and fight your addiction so you CAN do it again because you have done it before :)

A positive thing that you have also done is come here for advice and help which i am sure you will get. Do you attend AA meetings or anything like that? How did you first stop in the first place? Maybe you can use the same strategy as you did before to quit again? :)

MidnightBlue 05-12-2013 03:18 AM

Hi, AugustWest11. Welcome to SR!

Where to go? Got up to your feet, dust yourself off, and move forward. You still have 60 days of sobriety vs. 3 days of drinking.

Ask yourself - what made you drink? Was it boredom, lack of plan, stress, something else? Amend your sobriety plan, take it seriously and move.

There is no use beating yourself up - it never helped anyone.

SR is a great place of support, so keep posting here!

Best wishes to you.

Chilledice 05-12-2013 03:20 AM

MidnightBlue that was some sound advice right there!!

AugustWest11 05-12-2013 03:43 AM

Thanx Guys\Girls .. Boredom was part of it ... But I suffer from Chronic lower back pain; Had a cancerous tumor removed a little over 7years ago ... So 3 days off work; in pain and bored Just let me to the bottle I guess ..

Chilledice 05-12-2013 03:44 AM

Well the good thing is you know the trigger that set you off so now you can be aware of that trigger if it comes your way again :)

AugustWest11 05-12-2013 03:48 AM

Sadly it is here waiting for me this AM .. Just trying not to focus on it as much ..

Chilledice 05-12-2013 03:52 AM

I know this might sound silly but have you thought about online games? the time just flies by when i play those :) and before you know it hours and hours have passed and you have not had any booze :)

MidnightBlue 05-12-2013 03:57 AM

Sorry you have this pain, AugustWest11. Have you talked to your Doc about that? It's hard to give advice about this, but still, try to stay away from wine -it brings even more pain later. Maybe, tea, hot chocolate, some delicious cookies, something to indulge yourself? Good movie, anything to distract you from wine.

Jeni26 05-12-2013 03:59 AM

Don't beat yourself up about relapsing. It happens to many if not all of us. It happened to me and I remember how utterly despondent I felt afterwards. I wondered if I'd ever 'get' it.

The advice here to get straight back up and move forward is really good. Be aware of what led to your slip, and avoid that trigger/change your routine/look to extra support.

But never give up. Some times it takes many attempts, but it is really worth it I promise x

AugustWest11 05-12-2013 04:03 AM

Actually yea .. I am trying to keep busy but it is just hard sitting here any length of time in the pain I am in ...

MythOfSisyphus 05-12-2013 04:06 AM

Welcome! First things first- you didn't throw those sixty days away. You stumbled, you feel, but that in and of itself is not the same as failing. You don't fail when you fall, you fail when you don't get back up.

In this case, you start again by just starting again. Acknowledge that you drank and that you need to do better. Then try to understand why you did it. Complacency can be a problem, allowing your addictive voice to catch you off guard. Try to take some lesson away from the experience that will help you the next time.

One trick I use is bookmarking my first post here and returning to it occasionally. Like most of us, my first post outlined how badly alcohol was ruining my life and how desperate I was to stop drinking. The mind is a funny thing! It's amazing how quickly we can forget the bad stuff. Some times it's useful to remember the bad times lest we repeat them.

AugustWest11 05-12-2013 04:07 AM

Support is my Biggest issue right .. I truly have no one up here .. All my family friends are 400 miles in another state .. Yea I See my Doc once a month but she wants to actually take the pain meds away .. lol So yea I am in a pickle :

Dollyangel17 05-12-2013 04:10 AM

Hang in there what's done is done and in the past. Just get back on it and move forward...best of luck!

MidnightBlue 05-12-2013 04:15 AM

There's lots of support here. Post anytime you need to vent out or share your feelings. It was my sobriety saver. Anytime I felt urge for drinking I posted or red here - it helps a lot. You will never feel alone.

AugustWest11 05-12-2013 04:17 AM

That is my plan for now :p I am going crazy between the pain and withdraws :p

Chilledice 05-12-2013 05:01 AM

You can do this! You really really can and WILL do this!

GroundhogDay 05-12-2013 05:17 AM

I would consider getting a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in lower back pain management. Someone with an outstanding reputation among his or her peers. There may be options other than just pills to lessen it.

I once had a medical problem and sought the opinions of two leading doctors. Got very different treatment plans. I chose the cutting edge plan over the standard treatment and was glad when later research validated my choice. Of course it could have gone the other way. But I am glad that I was able to make the choice myself.

2granddaughters 05-12-2013 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 (Post 3961772)
But then last week threw it all away . Thought I could "rebound" but just got done drinking for 3 days straight and now am wondering where to go from here ..:gaah

I tried everything to get my life back too.

It came to the point where the only thing I hadn't tried (because it scared the poop out of me) was Alcoholics Anonymous. I had always tried to do it my way.

AA turned out to be just the ticket for me.

All the best.

Bob R

Mountainmanbob 05-12-2013 05:52 AM

you had 60 days

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 (Post 3961772)

But then last week threw it all away .

yes I threw away 60 days sober more than once in the old days
only thing that seemed to make me feel better was
working and getting my 60 days sober back once again

I hope that you can also do that
some get their 60 days back easily
others never do

good luck
onehigherpower