SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Can I post this? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294374-can-i-post.html)

sugarbear1 05-11-2013 07:45 PM

Can I post this?

Highest risk - 9% Drink more than both the single-day limits and the weekly limits

Increased risk -19% Drink more than either the single-day limits or the weekly limits

Low risk - 37% Always drink within low-risk limits

35% Never drink alcohol

What's your pattern? - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

:c029:

GroundhogDay 05-11-2013 07:50 PM

I suspect that people underreport their drinking.

ACT10Npack 05-11-2013 08:01 PM

Can't do those test because when I drink I binge for days on time and then stay sober for months.

bigsombrero 05-11-2013 08:04 PM

Can you shed some additional light on this survey please? Just a 10,000 foot overview would be nice. "High Risk" of what? Bad health? Is this a nationwide survey, a state study, etc?

sugarbear1 05-11-2013 08:04 PM

give it another year or so, action, once the new DSM (medical dictionary) comes out, they'll have more on there as they are adding binge drinking to that DSM!

sugarbear1 05-11-2013 08:07 PM

go to that website. it's from the National Institutes of Health website. They are constantly doing research there.

sugarbear1 05-12-2013 11:48 AM

I'm bumping this for a newcomer.

if you want to know how these researchers come up with their findings, email them directly in their Contact Us section.

:)

Louise82 05-12-2013 11:53 AM

Highest risk - 9% Drink more than both the single-day limits and the weekly limits
This reminds me how insane it was that I would drink the weekly limit in a single day, several days a week even when I wasn't suicidal. Absolute insanity. So thanks for posting this sugarbear1.

ElegantlyWasted 05-12-2013 12:13 PM

Drills home what I knew intuitively in a very real/concrete way! Helps keep it real. THX SB1. The funny thing is my mind was trying to figure how to manipulate the input to get it into the low risk drinker category (to figure out how I could drink normally), I shut the AV down, but it was there.

Torso 05-12-2013 12:25 PM

They did a survey like this recently in the UK and it left millions of £££'s worth of alcohol bought not accounted for... people seriously play down their use to themselves and others heh

ElegantlyWasted 05-12-2013 12:53 PM

Alright I indulged my own sick/rationalizing curiosity, while leaving my real brain in control...
This very much plays into the binge drinking mindset to chase a buzz.

Goal: Maximize alcohol consumption while still scoring in the lowest risk category.

Result: Can drink 4 drinks 3 days a week.

Why the raw data is flawed : I would not have lunch, slam 4 drinks quickly and get a buzz 3 nights a week!

Lesson: Only someone who should not drink would use this tool in such a way.

Ergo.... I will not drink.