SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   prayers & a rant (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294357-prayers-rant.html)

HereIAm321 05-11-2013 05:50 PM

Hi everyone. My BF is in the hospital due to distention he has been suffering from as a result of his cirrhosis.

They say his liver has gotten worse since he was diagnosed with cirrhosis, even though he has quit drinking.

Good news is, they say he's in no "mortal" danger, and he should be able to go home sometime in the next coming week.

Any healing thoughts, good vibes, prayers -- however you roll -- would be very much appreciated! :)

"Only" 1 in 5 heavy drinkers develops cirrhosis. My BF "only" drank heavily for a total of about 10 years. He is only 45 years old.

So to anyone reading this who is looking to quit: QUIT NOW. There is NOTHING redeemable about this idiotic "social lubricant" of a drug we call alcohol. Who *cares* what others think -- think about YOURSELF.

To the younger ones -- do you really want to end up in a hospital bed, in searing pain, in 10 years, and have the rest of your life basically RUINED? Do you want to have your family and friends *watch* you suffer a slow and painful death? For what? Frat parties and gatherings at bars? A lifetime of being more stupid due to brain damage that is irreversible?

To the older ones -- don't think you have escaped the health consequences just because you are in your 40's+ or 50's+ or older and have no diagnosis of cirrhosis or organ failure....You don't have those diagnoses YET. But I bet you bottom dollar that if you keep drinking, you *will* be diagnosed with a painful and fatal disease or cancer. Do you want to have your family and children and grandchildren *watch* you suffer a slow and painful death? For what? More Bloody Mary's and Bud Lights on your boat? Murdering *any* possibility of healing your body in your older age, because you refuse to quit drinking & committing rapid suicide?

IMO, there is absolutely not ONE redeemable quality or attribute about this socially encouraged, peer lauded, DRUG we call alcohol.
Not one.

I have to watch a man I love suffer. I might have to watch him end up dying young, leaving behind 2 young children who ADORE him to pieces.

Still think booze is "cool" or "not a big deal"?

Don't let your life pass you by before your body gives out.

You have a choice -- stop, get HELP, go to AA, COMMIT YOURSELF TO A MENTAL INSTITUTION! Whatever it takes!

You only have one life -- what company will you keep? What choices will you make? No one can help you but YOU.

Please stop drinking and drugging ASAP. Life is so much more beautiful on the other side. I *promise.*

It takes time, but what else have you got BUT time, on this planet? Time will pass if you drink or if you don't drink. But the *quality* of your time will be what differs.

Don't wait, until it is too late.
Life will abate, if you don't make haste.
Look at your life, with suffering is it rife?
Your true self to sate, starting on THIS date.

/end rant

sparky78 05-11-2013 07:06 PM

Very powerful message! My prayers are with your bf & your family.

duane1 05-11-2013 07:22 PM

I am 42 and I was already having liver complications before I quit. My prayers are with your boyfriend.

HereIAm321 05-11-2013 08:49 PM

....I hope my post didn't come off as preachy...? :/

It's just that this disease WILL kill us alcoholics.

Better to be preachy IMO than to undermine the importance of asking for help.

Sally3127 05-11-2013 08:57 PM

It is not preachy at all. It's the truth.

SnwFlower 05-11-2013 09:11 PM

Thank you for sharing that incredibly insightful post, and caring enough to share the harsh reality of what alcoholism can do. My prayers and positive thoughts go out to you and your BF.

Big hug to you.