Notices

Early Sobriety and Depression

Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Early Sobriety and Depression

Hello everyone!
This is my very first posting as a new member on this site. I wanted to ask if anyone is experiencing major depression in early sobriety and how it is being addressed. I am 8 months and 8 days sober today and despite being on several medications for depression my psychiatrist says I need to be patient and wait to feel better. I am ok with that as long as I'm sober just for today but was wondering if anybody else is experiencing depression.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup. I've been clinically depressed and on medication longer then I can remember. I'm at 5 months and still feel pretty early in recovery and accept having the off days as well as the good days. I'm also engaged in individual counseling; that helps a lot. I'm also reading/researching/learning a lot more about meditation. Currently reading a great book titled "Emotional Alchemy" by Tara Bennett-Coleman.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GivenThisDay View Post
Hello everyone!
This is my very first posting as a new member on this site. I wanted to ask if anyone is experiencing major depression in early sobriety and how it is being addressed. I am 8 months and 8 days sober today and despite being on several medications for depression my psychiatrist says I need to be patient and wait to feel better. I am ok with that as long as I'm sober just for today but was wondering if anybody else is experiencing depression.

Welcome Given- U have a support group? Well you do now!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My depression began decades before my drinking. Of course, drinking made it worse. But, I needed to get the depression properly treated before I could begin to recover. I am fortunate because antidepressants do help me to level the playing field and I am grateful for that. If your depression is a result of drinking, then hopefully it will clear up.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was depressed before I started drinking but drinking made it worse. I found that when I stayed sober my meds worked as they should, lessening the depression.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a little over 4 years clean and depression is a diagnosis so I deal with it appropriately but I don't allow depression to be a reason to use anymore. I am glad to not be high and to be able to deal with everything that comes my way with a clear mind is the best feeling ever
Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations for being sober for over 8 months. That's an awesome achievement
I have had depression on and off for the past 18 years, and it sucks. I have found that being on the right medication massively helps, and that having a doctor that wants to help is the key. And of, course being sober
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't have any experience with depression, Given, but want to welcome you. I hope you'll find the support and encouragement you're seeking. Congratulations on 8 months sober - that is fabulous.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on eights months that's absolutely amazing. I don't feel experienced enough to comment on the depression aspect but welcome to SR it's definitely saved me the last few weeks.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am a few months shy of three years sober and have been on nearly every antidepressant known to man, from the most modern SSRIs and even old school ADs from the 1960s.

I'm entering my third month of being medication free. After two years of researching all I could find on psychiatric medication, I opted to taper my meds to nothign with the help a a great shrink.

I've had a diagnosis of chronic major depression, panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder for 30 years. My "disease" left me comatose at times, practically bed ridden at times, a life filled with a constant sense of hopelessness and helplessness and despair.

My depression is in remission for the first time in decades. I don't know if it's the combination of sober time with working on my issues in a cognitive way, or applying the principles of the recovery program I follow, or simply being drug free for the first time in 45 years. I do know that as a child and teenager, I would have met the clinical criteria for depression as defined in any incantation of the DSM.

I have a nagging suspicion that my medication was making me as sick as my alcoholism. Radical thought, I know.

I am beginning to question the entire paradigm of mental illness being caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. My life sucked, despite professional achievements. My childhood sucked. I think depression is as much situation related as it could possibly be caused by an out-of-the-blue chemical imbalance. These are just growing thoughts emerging after spending a year trolling medical journals related to depression and panic and personal reflection and a lot of soul searching.

And I'm not talking about any white-light spirituality that has exorcised my demons.

I think modern psychiatry kept me sick. Not sure, just thinking it.