Notices

Binged, Have to Put My Life Back Together Monday

Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Happiness & Gratefullness NOW

Binged, Have to Put My Life Back Together Monday

Well after my so called desire to go 30 days without drinking. I a, recovering from a three day binge. I fought with my husband, scared my children and Friday didn't even call in sick. I'm now seriously dehydrated. Yeah, usually I'm hospitalized when its this bad. I'm just not going, because I don't want my dr to dig deeper into why this keeps occurring. I don't know what triggers me, but all of a sudden I think screw it, I'll drink. This time I will just drink beer, so I don't get so intoxicated. Three days later, I come back to reality. I don't remember Thursday at all. When will this nightmare end?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will end when you want it to end. When you want to be sober more than you want to drink, then you'll be able to stay sober. There are many ways to get sober; AA or one of the other programs like AVRT; counseling; outpatient treatment; inpatient treatment - there are all kinds of ways to get sober. But no matter which method you chose, you have to put in the work to get and stay sober. But it is possible! You can do this!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you know that you can end the nightmare right now.

Do you have a plan for the next time your mind says 'screw it'? Make a plan and a backup plan. It doesn't have to happen again.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhyIsThisMyLife View Post
I'm just not going, because I don't want my dr to dig deeper into why this keeps occurring.
Your doctor may well already know why, and just hasn't said anything. You're also most likely not the only patient with a drinking problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Could end right this second, no more bs that goes with alcoHELL, forever.

Lots of helpful ways to beat this drug addiction.

Me , avrt.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been there with not calling into work due to an alcohol binge. It is the worst feeling, to know you messed something up in your real life because you were out of it. Now that you are back to reality, do what you have to do to stay sober. Immerse yourself in recovery materials - gets books, read online, try some meetings. Whatever it takes to stay away from that poison.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

I don't know what triggers me, but all of a sudden I think screw it, I'll drink.
Speaking from experience it's untreated alcoholism that triggers it. If you know that eventually you are going to have the "screw it I'll drink" thoughts in the future you need to plan on how to deal with that before they happen and while you are sober. When the impulse hits you have to be ready for it in order not to give in to it. I could list a number of things to do but I think you have been around long enough to know what they are, you just have to be willing to do them. If you aren't willing to do them it is a hopeless situation.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back and that you've shared your experience. For those who have been on a binge your message will help them realize that they're not alone. Keep coming back, keep posting, never give up!

In my case my nightmare couldn't begin to end until I got sober and could start to face the root causes pushing me into alcohol and drugs. I relapsed many times because as soon as I started actually looking at my problems I would freak out and take refuge in my wasted little world. The process of getting well is in it's infancy but I'm realizing that I'm finally on the right path.

Don't Give UP!!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very important to have a plan WhyIsThisMyLife.

I spent years wanting not to drink, but not really doing much about that desire...and so I would drink again.

I think bringing your Dr in in this would be a great move, but there are other options too - AA or some other recovery group, counseling, inpatient or outpatient rehab.

If we want to get better (and I think you do) I think we need to accept that it's time to reach out and make real changes - I did.

It changed my life

D
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Happiness & Gratefullness NOW

I don't have a plan? Nor do I know things to do when I get the impulse. It's almost like I fight all day then get tired of the fight. I have done the CBA, but that's about it. Is there a toolbox?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used SR - checking in here daily, or when I felt I was in trouble helped me.

This technique was useful for me too when dealing with cravings
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Others find a recovery programme, a face to face connection, is useful.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhyIsThisMyLife View Post
I don't have a plan? Nor do I know things to do when I get the impulse. It's almost like I fight all day then get tired of the fight. I have done the CBA, but that's about it. Is there a toolbox?
The only thing that worked for me was commitment to Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R