Notices

Forum to Discuss Abusive Relationships

Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Forum to Discuss Abusive Relationships

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a forum on here where you can discuss abusive/destructive relationships? I was in an abusive relationship for nearly four years, which escalated my problems with alcohol. Now when I've committed to recovery I feel it is important to deal with this, and other underlying issues as they are all interlinked, but find I have no one I feel comfortable talking to about this particular issue.

Thank you,
S
Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a forum on relationships in sobriety. I'll give you the link. It's near the bottom of the index page.

Relationships & Parenting In Sobriety - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
We have a forum on relationships in sobriety. I'll give you the link. It's near the bottom of the index page.

Relationships & Parenting In Sobriety - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Thank you Least, really appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There also are quite a few threads in the Friends and Families section of SoberRecovery. English Garden started a thread with an eloquent post called "What is Abuse?" which became a "stickie" lots of other people posting. I wrote my story of being abused there, too. You can find it at the top of the Friends and Families forum main page which lists all the threads.

I believe you can also search for "abuse" under the SR search function located along the banner at the top of the page.

Many people, especially women, who live with alcoholic/addictive partners suffer abuse as the alcoholic progresses into deeper dysfunction, so you will find a lot of discussion, and feel free to join in. Doesn't matter if you are an alcoholic, family member of an alcoholic, or both. We're all here for support.

ShootingStar1
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShootingStar1 View Post
There also are quite a few threads in the Friends and Families section of SoberRecovery. English Garden started a thread with an eloquent post called "What is Abuse?" which became a "stickie" lots of other people posting. I wrote my story of being abused there, too. You can find it at the top of the Friends and Families forum main page which lists all the threads.

I believe you can also search for "abuse" under the SR search function located along the banner at the top of the page.

Many people, especially women, who live with alcoholic/addictive partners suffer abuse as the alcoholic progresses into deeper dysfunction, so you will find a lot of discussion, and feel free to join in. Doesn't matter if you are an alcoholic, family member of an alcoholic, or both. We're all here for support.

ShootingStar1
Thank you ShootingStar! I was the one with alcohol problems, not my abusive ex, but he did get more aggressive when drinking. I am hoping that by talking about it with other people with similar experiences I can begin to process what happened, as I have suppressed most of it and tried to escape the memories by drinking. I think it is an essential part of recovery to deal with this.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, please know that you can always post in the Women's Forum, where men are not allowed, and you might feel more comfortable there.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
And, please know that you can always post in the Women's Forum, where men are not allowed, and you might feel more comfortable there.
Thank you very much Anna.