Notices

Advice Please

Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Please

Hi,

As I am posting here you will realise that I think I may have a problem with alcohol. I drink moost days, only in the evening, never during the day, and if we go out for a meal and I drive I don't touch a drop, the challange is, when I do have a drink its difficult to stop, if I don't start I am fine, I can go for extended periods without a drink, so long as I am occupied, if I am bored, thats it, I open a bottle of wine. Having said that I will normally stop after one bottle. This is normally caused by me going to bed.

The other thing I don't like is waking up at 0300 every morning like clockwork, if I don't have a drink for a few days that doesnt happen. And my memory, wow I forget peoples names within seconds of being told them, but I can remember everything about work, how stupid is that.

So on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad am I really? I waiver between thinking I have a real problem to thinking well as I can stay off it things cannot be that bad.

Thanks for reading, and any positive advise given.

Dwain
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

I didn't think I had a problem and thus, drank for 35 years. It progressed, like most addictions do. I had a problem and I was in denial about it a long time.

Originally Posted by Dwaind View Post
I waiver between thinking I have a real problem to thinking well as I can stay off it things cannot be that bad.
Staying off alcohol for a couple days isn't proof you don't have a problem. Can you go a year without drinking? Why not try it. There is a lot to be learned in the struggle.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. Thanks for posting. What if you stopped for a period of 90 days? See where that may get you. Look for the comfort or discomfort with the abstinence. If you are uncomfortable and having a hard time with the commitment. You may want to think about what alcohol is to you, and whether or not you have a problem. This is a wonderful place for support.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could always quit ... I just couldn't stay quit.

Then I realized I didn't know how to live after I quit so I got drunk again.

AA got me quit and keeps me quit. AA also allows me to live sober in my own skin.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Dwaind. Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Dwaind View Post
Hi,

...only in the evening, never during the day, and if we go out for a meal and I drive I don't touch a drop, the challange is, when I do have a drink its difficult to stop, if I don't start I am fine, I can go for extended periods without a drink, so long as I am occupied, if I am bored, thats it, I open a bottle of wine. Having said that I will normally stop after one bottle.
This is pretty much similar to the pattern I used to follow.

Now, looking back at myself a half a year ago I realize I did have a problem.

This mask of addiction maybe not that pronounced as in case of daily drinkers, but it's still slippery slope. It's kind of illusion of control. Addiction plays a tricky game with us.

My advice is - stop this game, there's no use gambling health and life.

Best wishes to you. It's a great place of support to give a try and maintain your sobriety. And it's definitely worth trying and keeping.

Take care, keep posting.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

I didn't think I had a problem and thus, drank for 35 years. It progressed, like most addictions do. I had a problem and I was in denial about it a long time.

Staying off alcohol for a couple days isn't proof you don't have a problem. Can you go a year without drinking? Why not try it. There is a lot to be learned in the struggle.
I agree. Many binge drinkers can go days or even weeks between binges. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Try stopping for a year, as Carl suggested. That ought to tell you if there's a problem or not.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dwain,
Welcome to SR.

For me, I had to step back and look at myself like an outsider and re read my first postings like I was reading what someone else said. I replaced my drug of choice...alcohol...with someone else's...one i had no experience with and then said what would I tell a friend who just asked me that question. I came up with my own answer.

Whatever you come up with, you probably already know deep down in your own heart. I know I did. I did know, for me, it probably wasn't going to improve as time went on no matter what I decided.

Everybody deserves better than it's bad or it's not that bad.

I found all the people on SR to be very helpful and understanding. I hope you find what you need too.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Dwain - it's great to have you with us.

I once drank the same way you are. Many years later I was drinking every day and had no control. I never thought it could happen to me. I think you're wise to be taking a hard look at what your drinking habits are doing to you. The fact that you have difficulty stopping once you start is a problem. Glad you are here to talk about it!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

Only you can give yourself that number from one to ten....but the fact you're worried enough to join here is pretty significant I think.

For years I was a binge drinker - I rationalised that because I could stop I was ok...but I could never stop completely....

maybe the suggestion to stop for a while and see how you feel is the way to go?

D
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dwain,

If you decide you want to stop drinking, we are here to offer support.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your situation sounds similar to mine when I quit drinking ten days ago. My life was not out of control, but I was in the danger zone of drinking more than 7 glasses a week ( limit for women) and sometimes drinking the whole bottle of wine in a night. It was taking a toll on me physically.

The hard part for me was admitting to myself that I couldn't control my drinking. I would mean to stop at 2 glasses, and sometimes I would, but over time more and more I would not.

Reading this forum and recently meeting a person further down the road to ruining her health convinced me to stop right now. And I mean stop...forever...no trying to control it down the road. There is no reason for me to think that I am special...no magical abilities here.

I knew why I was drinking, but it was some time before I became willing to take the hard road to dealing with my problems.