SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   iisolatedmyself (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294040-iisolatedmyself.html)

IIsolatedmyself 05-08-2013 11:38 AM

iisolatedmyself

I am 67 now. I don't smoke. I drink to get drunk at home maybe once a year. When I drink I get very seriously f'd up. Thirty years ago I got arrested for DUI which led to AA. AA became my family really but like my real family as a kid of sixteen - I eventually ran away again - and again. I never really stopped drinking and there should have been more DUIs or worse. I would need reams to go back over my story. Is 67 too late to start over? Going it alone is a very scary prospect.

bryangt 05-08-2013 11:53 AM

As a famous 'old timer' in my area says..."I didn't get here when I should, I got here when I could." Your never to old. One of my best friends in the rooms came in at 63. You will most likely add some years to your life also! Go for it!

rainyengland 05-08-2013 12:06 PM

67 not old !!.. That is when you should be enjoying life :-)

And it will be so much better hang over free!

Go for it!

least 05-08-2013 01:15 PM

:welcome As long as you're still breathing, it's never too late to start over.:) And now that you've found us, you don't have to feel alone. :hug:

Hevyn 05-08-2013 01:24 PM

No - not too late. Never too late iisolated. :) I was older when I stopped too - and now I have over 5 yrs. of sobriety. It's great to be free of it. I'm glad you came here for help - you won't be sorry. :)

2granddaughters 05-08-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by IIsolatedmyself (Post 3956509)
I am 67 now. I don't smoke. I drink to get drunk at home maybe once a year. When I drink I get very seriously f'd up. Thirty years ago I got arrested for DUI which led to AA. AA became my family really but like my real family as a kid of sixteen - I eventually ran away again - and again. I never really stopped drinking and there should have been more DUIs or worse. I would need reams to go back over my story. Is 67 too late to start over? Going it alone is a very scary prospect.

Walk back to AA where you know you belong ... where you know it works.

You will be welcomed back with open arms and a warm handshake. Get back on the beam .....

All the best.

Bob R

SNST 05-08-2013 01:49 PM

I felt the same way IIsolated, Im 51 an kept telling myself there was no need to stop now Ive been ok for this long, HA! I havent been ok in a very long time, so here I am starting a brand new life.Its NEVER to late. Good Luck

MustLoveCoffee 05-08-2013 01:59 PM

:welcome

If you're still breathing, it's not too late. Those people in AA have seen many people walk in and out those doors. Walk back in! :)

Grungehead 05-08-2013 02:40 PM

Welcome! Nope...not too late at all. In my AA meetings there are people of all ages from teenagers to senior citizens, But everyone has one thing in common, a desire to stop drinking. It takes what it takes to get us where we are today. This is my third attempt at staying sober. I quit at 29, 37, and now 52. I have had some good stretches of sobriety but each time I strayed away from the people, places, and things that kept me sober and went back to the people, places and things that caused me to drink. I just found this forum a few days ago but I am finding it very helpful in supplementing my recovery in addition to going to AA.

Dee74 05-08-2013 02:53 PM

Hi and Welcome :)
personally I don't think it's ever too late :)

I thought it was too late for me at 40...I'm glad I didn;t losten to that...the last 6 years have been simply awesome :)

good to have you here Iisolatedmyself

D