SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   day 2 struggling (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294013-day-2-struggling.html)

Djulz 05-08-2013 07:12 AM

day 2 struggling

Hey all. Ok so day 2 and im already thinking about the weekend and how i will be bored without my sat night wine. I usually had it most nights but sat night was guilt free. No hangover today so forgetting the effects. Wish i was someone who didn't give it a second thought. Im not going to give in, but just looking for some encouraging words
Thankyou

neferkamichael 05-08-2013 07:17 AM

Djulz, day 2 struggling? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. :egypt:

soberclover 05-08-2013 07:38 AM

I understand what you mean about thinking about drinking wine when you are sober. We easily forget the consequences that show up when we do drink. I have learned over time, and the hard way, that the consequences of my drinking are not worth the time and effort that I can put in to overcome a craving to drink. A craving is just a craving. A decision to drink for me is disasterous! Once you have a few weekends under your belt not drinking, it will be come easier. You created a pathway out of habit in your brain to want to drink. You need to re-create a new pathway so over time you will not give a thought to drinking. Keep up the good work!

doggonecarl 05-08-2013 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Djulz (Post 3956157)
...already thinking about the weekend and how i will be bored without my sat night wine.

This is the hurdle that must be gotten over if you are to succeed. The ability of the mind to talk ourselves out of our committment to sobriety is the insanity of alcoholism. I don't know how to tell you how to NOT think this way, but you don't have to act on it.

You can do this!!!!

rainyengland 05-08-2013 11:45 AM

Your doing superb already and planning ahead of a potential trigger is good thinking !..your determined for sure :-)

Don't drink Saturday and see how good Sunday will be !..no hangover and all day to do what you want to do - ace!

Beats feeling rough with guilt - I was the same with wine - get a weekend behind you and your flying!

You can do this :-)

least 05-08-2013 01:24 PM

You can do this!:) And every time you resist the urge to drink you'll get stronger. And just think of how nice it is to wake up feeling good.:)

Dollyangel17 05-08-2013 01:51 PM

You took the first step, and that is great! Last weekend was my first weekend sober, and I dreaded it so much. Didn't know what I would do! Turns out when I had clear eyes I noticed lots of things that needed my attention, and kept myself busy cleaning, shopping for things my daughter needs etc.

I still missed it, but overall it was not as bad as I expected. Hang in there...you will be okay.

FamilyMan2153 05-08-2013 01:55 PM

I know it is hard but today is Wed. Try not to think to far ahead. When I quit I thought about all kinds of crap I had coming up. How was I going to deal with it. How will I have fun. Today is Wed. and I know I will not drink today. Going to watch my son play ball and snuggle with a movie. I will worry about tomorrow when it gets here. Lots of people talk about living one day at a time but actually doing can be tougher.

Djulz 05-08-2013 02:15 PM

I have never really hit rock bottom with alcohol, i just see a problem creeping up on me. Sometimes i think that can be harder in a way. But i do no i dont control it the way i used to. The fact i am here proves that. I'll be honest, ihave alway thought, people thst dont drink must have very boring lives, they dont. They just dont need it to enjoy it. Thats what i want. Thank you ALL for your kind words of encourgement :)

Dee74 05-08-2013 02:58 PM

Try to take it a day at a time :)
The first weekends are always hard - but they do get easier - stick with it Djulz...you'll be glad you did.

stick around here too - there's always a lot of support on a weekend :)

D