SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Can only sleep wt booze.If i dont hv 12 shots nightmares. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/294004-can-only-sleep-wt-booze-if-i-dont-hv-12-shots-nightmares.html)

BOXERLUKE 05-08-2013 05:23 AM

Can only sleep wt booze.If i dont hv 12 shots nightmares.

I hv been doing this routine for about three yrs.I get off work come home and plan my drinking to my commute.I write down my drink amount and make sure its under 1 drink an hr.I hv never got in trouble from drinking just make an ass of myself.I work 3rd shift just wanna sleep without booze.

flutter 05-08-2013 05:31 AM

I used to think I had major sleep issues, if I didn't drink, I couldn't sleep (so I thought). After I quit and realized what REAL sleep was, I also realized I was contributing to the problems I was having. You wont die from lack of sleep.. you WILL eventually sleep. There are much better options out there to settle your mind, like exercise, herbal remedies (valerian, melatonin), meditation, etc.. I know all that seems silly right now, but I can almost guarantee you're causing any sleep issues you're having by the amount of alcohol you're drinking to knock you out.

LDT 05-08-2013 05:37 AM

Welcome BOXERLUKE. I drank to sleep also. I was desperate for any kind and any amount of sleep. That's when the dreadful Xanax entered my world and I became addicted to that as well. I was a mess. At one point I realized I wasn't really "sleeping"...I was just passing out into black oblivion, waking up more exhausted than ever. So I quit everything. It's not easy, and it takes work, but it's worth the effort. I'm still not a major league sleeper, but I am far better than I use to be. I feel rested. I can function. You can, too.

tomsteve 05-08-2013 05:38 AM

same here as with flutter. when i stopped drinking, it took only about a week or so before i got REAL sleep, but it is awesome!

dont forget one thing...you havent gotten in trouble...yet( Your Eligible,Too).

rainyengland 05-08-2013 05:39 AM

I was same - used wine to knock myself out through fear of not been able to sleep

Sure - first week was grim as adjusting but boy I really sleep well now - 7 or 8 hours but its quality sleep also and not comatose by alcohol - that sort of sleep no good for anyone

Keep in there , it gets easier !

BOXERLUKE 05-08-2013 05:46 AM

The funny thing is i am 31 workout 5 days a week.I hv been promoted 3 times,earning good money.I hv even stopped going out.I am just worried i have not hit my alltime low.I want to try to kick this before.

BOXERLUKE 05-08-2013 06:00 AM

Tomsteve I dont get your "eligible" comment.

flutter 05-08-2013 06:15 AM

Tomsteve is using the acronym for "yet" (You're eligible too), meaning a lot of us may not have (lost a job, got a dui, ruined a relationship, etc) "yet".

I think it's smart to kick it before anything bad happens!

Mrbeagle 05-08-2013 06:18 AM

The whole reason I started drinking was because I had really bad insomnia. Over time, the thought of not being able to sleep without booze for me became for powerful than the original insomnia. I was completely terrified of not drinking for a night because I 'knew' I wouldn't sleep at all.

Eventually I got to my wits end, said sod it and just went for it. It took about a week or so of restless nights but at the moment (touches wood) i'm sleeping really well without any aids. It feels bloody marvelous to wake up knowing that as well.

Best of luck to you :)

gnly 05-08-2013 06:23 AM

Make sure you are taking supplements. Alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes deplete vitamin B. You can't overdose on vitamin B, get a vit. b complex. Don't take it before you go to bed though, it does give you a little boost of energy. It does take a few days to get over the initial insomnia of quitting drinking. Make sure you are getting proper nutrition. Also, potatos have seratonin in them. You could try eating a potato before bed and see if that helps. You could also go to the doctor and talk with them about this. I'm big on using nutrition though, that's me.

Nonsensical 05-08-2013 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle (Post 3956106)
The whole reason I started drinking was because I had really bad insomnia. Over time, the thought of not being able to sleep without booze for me became for powerful than the original insomnia. I was completely terrified of not drinking for a night because I 'knew' I wouldn't sleep at all.

Eventually I got to my wits end, said sod it and just went for it. It took about a week or so of restless nights but at the moment (touches wood) i'm sleeping really well without any aids. It feels bloody marvelous to wake up knowing that as well.

Best of luck to you :)

+1

I 'drank myself to sleep' for years. I was shocked to discover I sleep much better sober.