Notices

Vinegars?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vinegars?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone may have on vinegars particularly in salad dressings. I had a salad yesterday with oil and vinegar and the vinegar was pink. I don't usually get that because I've heard mixed things on whether or not there is alcohol in it. It had a distinct taste but I'm not sure if it had alcohol in it. I only had five bites before I decided I didn't want to risk it. But of course now I'm being hard on myself for having those 5 bites. Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I know there is a Champagne Vinegar that is sometimes Pink. The big thing in my mind is that for some people stuff like that is a trigger regardless of whether it has any alcohol content. Did you feel and increased urge to have a real drink after those five bites? Anyway, those are my thoughts.... If It was tasty and you didn't feel an urge to binge; I wouldn't worry about it too much...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vinegar is acetic acid, no alcohol that I am aware of from the fermentation process.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like red wine vinegar. I checked the label on mine and there is no mention of any alcohol content. I do know that under no circumstances would I be tempted to drink it straight! All kidding aside, it doesn’t trigger any cravings in me, but I’ve used it for many years too, so there is no association to alcohol for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OLL: Not sure what type of vinegar you had, but sounds like you did not intentionally order the dressing, thinking it had alcohol. In addition, you did not continue to eat the salad since there was a distinct taste. I've eaten salads with vinegar and oil type dressings this past year. It was never my intent to consume alcohol and sounds the same for you. IMO, you are doing so well with your recovery. If having certain types of salad dressings concern you, next time just order whatever dressing you choose on the side. That way you can still enjoy the salad, even if the dressing isn't quite right. Go easy on yourself, you are doing great!
Bloss
Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did not feel any urge to drink. In fact I felt disgusted that I had possibly ingested alcohol at all. But I'm all panicky today. I think it's because I'm coming up on a year this month and I'm kind of a perfectionist, all-or-nothing person.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't think there is any alcohol content in it at all. Checked the bottles here and zero so don't worry
Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I already replied to you elsewhere but - you asked for something non alcoholic and you stopped eating when you felt uncomfortable.

What else do you think you could have reasonably done OLL?

I think you're being way too hard on yourself here, especially as you don't know it was alcoholic.

Perfectionism is all very well - with limits.

perfectionism for perfectionism's sake drove me to drinking.
If we never make mistakes, if we never have a misstep, we never learn OLL

D
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Vinegar is made from wine/hard cider in which the alcohol has been further fermented by a fungus into acetic acid. Distilled vinegar has all the solids/tastes distilled out so it is just acetic acid and water.

There is no alcohol. If the taste of wine vinegar triggers you to crave a drink, avoid it, but there is absolutely no reason to alter your sober date.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for responding. I feel better about the situation and appreciate everyone's understanding and support.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, don't worry about it. Lots of posts here about the alcohol-in-food subject, you are not alone in thinking about it.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drink 2 tablespoons of Braggs apple cider vinegar daily and don't feel at all guilty about as the health benefits far outweigh what little alcohol is in it, if any. Don't be so hard on yourself! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I have a vinegar collection because I make my own dressings, healthier and non processed. Pink could be raspberry or red wine but there is no alcohol. You're doing great!