SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   wiped out (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293964-wiped-out.html)

gmanriley 05-07-2013 03:15 PM

wiped out

Can anyone relate to this feeling of exhaustion I have been experiencing?

I am sleeping 7 to 8 hours at night, yet feel so tired all the time...completely drained. I'm forcing myself to the gym but have no energy to do much when I'm there. I feel like gravity has been multiplied by 100 in my world.

Is this normal on day 17?

Received 05-07-2013 03:17 PM

Yup.

bigsombrero 05-07-2013 03:27 PM

There was another post a few days ago where a member was saying similar things. You are definitely not alone on that one.

ElegantlyWasted 05-07-2013 03:39 PM

Hey G Man, similar stuff going on with me on day 14. I feel lethargic and a little wired at the same time. I think I'm over compensating for the tiredness by drinking a pot of coffee throughout the day. I also feel a little zombish if that makes any sense and is a word. Similar stuff happened last time I dried out and I started feeling appreciably better starting on Month 2. We'll get there.:bus

aasharon90 05-07-2013 03:39 PM

Vitamins, healthy foods, protein, all
can give you a boost of energy. :)
Oh, moderation on coffee. Too
much caffeine for that extra energy,
will leave you feeling drained. :)

MustLoveCoffee 05-07-2013 03:39 PM

Sounds about right to me! I've been told it gets better. Let's hope so. :)

gmanriley 05-07-2013 03:43 PM

Thanks E.W. and I like the party bus.
I feel like I'm 105 years old Sharon even though I am taking vitamins, fish oil, healthy food ans exercise.

Hevyn 05-07-2013 04:25 PM

Gman I was definitely exhausted for a few weeks after quitting. We've put our poor bodies through so much - we need chance to recuperate and heal. It's normal to feel shredded.

gmanriley 05-07-2013 04:27 PM

Thanks Hevyn and great word, I do feel shredded.

Troae 05-07-2013 04:38 PM

Been there. The chronic fatigue began to subside at 30 days.

I kept telling myself that it could be worse. So many of life's struggles are accompanied by the inability to get good sleep. I just kept reminding myself that sleep is the time when the body heals itself. We've done a lot of damage to ourselves, and there's a LOT of healing going on.

LDT 05-07-2013 04:43 PM

I think it's perfectly normal to feel that way for a while. I know I did. It does get better with time. Eat well, rest, keep hydrated. Your body is trying to heal itself.....it WILL happen.

IWillWin 05-07-2013 06:08 PM

Gman - I think I must have slept more in my first 30 days of sobriety than my whole life combined. Of course, I thought I was dying. But the good folks here told me it was normal and gave me the same advice you are getting...listen to them and follow the suggestions.

I can say that all of a sudden one day (not sure exactly when, but definitely after 30 days) I wasn't so exhausted. I still sleep a lot but I always did. Imagine how I felt when I was sleeping 10 hours and then napping for 5 during the day! I was totally freaked out. But I kept the faith that those who have succeeded before me were wiser and sure enough, they were right.

Hang in there, it does get better!!!!

gmanriley 05-07-2013 06:16 PM

Thanks Iwillwin,
I will endure through this, I'm done being a drunk fool.

Like2Hike 05-07-2013 06:50 PM

Lots of good advice in here. I'm a little over 4 months sober and the energy level is starting to pick back up. I'm sleeping a lot more than before but it is a very peaceful rest. Enjoying deep sleep at night has been an unexpected benefit from quitting alcohol.

Stick with it, Gman, it keeps getting better.

gmanriley 05-07-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks Liketohike,
I've made up my mind that it's now or never.