Notices

dreams and one mont sober.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dreams and one mont sober.

I had a very unsettling dream last night. I was out for dinner and decided I was not going to live my life any differently than those around me, and I was going to have a drink. The whiskey bottle sat in front of me, my favorite low ball sat in its shadow. I remember the smell, the color, the way it flowed into the glass and receded after every sip. I got up from the table, looked back at the bottle and took one last sip for the road. I woke covered in sweat and my hear pounding. I felt disgusted with myself. I couldn't even enjoy alcohol in my dream. I felt like a failure and tossed and turned the rest of the night. When I got up, I had a new take on my daemon. I shouldn't feel like a failure for having a dream about drinking. I would feel validated for subconsciously testing mt resolve and knowing that both my subconscious and conscious self were enraged by the thought of drinking. I am one month sober today and very happy to have dreams that remind me I am doing the right think, no matter how unpleasant they are.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Agreed LR, I have drinking dreams too and they help me remember how much I want to be sober. I had one Friday night and then on Saturday found myself really tempted at a party... I just reminded myself how bad I'd felt in the dream and it helped me get through it.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone of us has had drinking dreams. With all apologies to Dr Freud I don't believe they're a manifestation of my subsconscious desire to drink...

I drank a lot for a long time...it seems natural to me I should dream about things like that - I still have high school dreams too...

to me they mean nothing...just memory bubbles breaking to the surface

D
Old 05-07-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

I agree Dee. I think it is normal to dream about anything that has been a big part of our life but no longer is. I had a drinking dream 2 nights ago and for most of yesterday I had a hard time shaking a vague feeling of guilt. I went to a meeting and the feeling passed. I've had a couple stretches of long term sobriety (7 years each time) and the dreams never totally went away, but with time I had fewer and fewer of them. My mom quit smoking 40 years ago and she says she will still have a smoking dream on rare occasions.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as it was only a dream you're ok.

Congrats on one month sober!