Notices

Anti-Procrastination Station

Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know how that feels to not know what to do first...it is not a "nice" feeling....but it passes.

Cindy
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great thread Midnight!...My husband use to call me 'Procrastinator Nellie' or he would say your pulling a 'Nellie' meaning I procrastinate. I use to get mad about this then last year I started to notice myself how many times I would say "why don't we wait and do it blah blah blah'...OMGawd it was a lot!! So now I have gotten so much better, I just say I gotta do it!! So I like this thread because it is something I have been working really really hard on. I use to complain about my sons but now I see where they got it....dang it! ....P.S I gotta say when I don't procrastinate I feel so good about it, now to get it up to about 100%
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ah this is just what I needed to read today! I struggle with it too. At least these days, in sobriety, I feel icky if I don't get things done. I used to procrastinate and just not care because my only real priority was getting loaded every day. I could put ANYTHING else on the back-burner for ages and just numb my guilt over not getting it done and letting people down. These days I've learned a few things so I will share what helps me :

1.) I make more realistic goals - if a project seems too overwhelming, I break it down into much smaller pieces and just focus on getting something done instead of finishing the whole thing.
2.) I set time limits so I don't wear myself out and I let myself take a break if its just not happening so I can return to it (but I do make sure the break isn't all day!)
3.) I ask for help if I need help. This is tough but sometimes we can't do it alone!
4.) I make a list. Crossing items off my to-do list feels good.
5.) I tell myself I can't do the "fun" stuff until I get some work done and I stick to it. I will get the icky things out of the way much faster if I get that reward at the end, even if its just something small.
6.) I have one day every week where I focus on having fun, relaxing, and family so I can have a day to renew myself and rest. It gives me more energy for the rest of the week and I actually get more done!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I procrastinate obsessing about learning everything I can about addiction. I have been obsessing for weeks about my BF's recovery from IDU. But thanks to SR and Al-Anon, I threw myself back into my work today, and did not even check up on my BF once all day for like 12 hours. In fact, he sent me about 6 texts today to check in and I barely had time to look at them b/c I was concentrating and focused on MY JOB, which I have been neglecting. It does help that he passed the test with sub doc yesterday, and tomorrow is his two week anniversary since he stopped poking holes in himself:-) We've both got a long way to go. Next Alanon meeting on Thursday. One day at a time:-)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can relate to just not wanting to do anything...your companion is gone !

Take care of your new found sobriety ...it's precious !
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Anti-Procrastinators) So many great posts here and some great advice too!

I'm going to give a try this worksheet that EW posted, and I'll let you know how it works for me.

See you all later. Is there anything you are procrastinating today&
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This train needs to leave the Procrastination Station.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
This train needs to leave the Procrastination Station.
You are right Jonny! We are leaving and heading to ANTI-procrastination station! Take your seats on the train)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Ok, I'm taking next steps away from procrastination-station.

I've tried the worksheet provided by EW and filling it in gave me some additional thought.

What's holding me back, when I procrastinate, apart from perfectionism and fears?

I think that I'm constantly seeking some kind of approval. Like I am not sure I can make the right decision, if it makes sense.

Like I am not in a position to make a decision and waiting for someone tells me: "Ok, you can do it. It's not waste of time, it's worth trying and doing, etc."

And if I fail - there always would be someone to tell me: "I told you, you shouldn't have done it".

So, I start considering many variants how to make something better or what to choose, asking for opinions, and after some time find myself stuck in a lot of information and at at complete loss, and exhausted on top of that.

And yes, it drives me crazy because it's not only concerns some important decisions in my life, but everyday routine as well. It's quite hard for me to "switch off" this inner critic in my head. By the way, I doubt if this critic knows which decision is right, which is wrong.

And while I'm considering, life passes by leaving me with my considerations and outdated decisions.

Ok, one step at a time on my way to anti-procrastination station.