Notices

Newcomer

Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

I've been struggling with my alcohol consumption for years. Plain and simple I LOVE to drink and the feeling it gives me. I don't miss work, activities, or any other functions, but my main concern in my health. I drink roughly 16 ounces of vodka on a regular basis, sometimes daily. I've been doing this for about 5 years. I'm worried how it is going to affect my liver. I just had a physical and other than elevated cholesteral he said I was in good shape. I don't really WANT to quit drinking, but the guilt that I feel in the mornings is overwhelming.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You might be one of the lucky few who can continue to drink that much without any problems, but the odds are much more likely that you'll develop physical, emotional and social problems. You are very lucky that you can quit now and likely avoid many of those if you so choose.

You have to want to quit though - no one else can make that decision for you. If you do decide to do so, SR is a great place to get resources and help in your journey. Best of luck, and stick around and read some more- it may just help you. I"m not an AA person but reading the AA big book is a good read for anyone - it can really help you make the decision as to whether or not you should quit drinking.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR :-)

Fact your here means you know there is a problem- junk the vodka it ain't no good for you !
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott for taking the time to respond to my post. Something is telling me I need to quit. I know it's not healthy and I want to be around to see some grandchildren one day. I've hidden it so well no one even knows I'm questioning my use (well I don't think they do). I've talked to my ex-boyfriend about it and he told me to just lay off the heavy stuff and stick to beer. Do I or don't I have a problem? I'm not sure, but i'm pretty sure I drink WAY TOO MUCH & WAY TOO OFTEN.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vodka will certainly pickle your liver quickly. If you are craving the buzz of alcohol you may well be on a very slippery road which leads to ruin. It's how it began with me many years ago. Just wanting to feel 'comfortably numb'. Have you tried stopping drinking for say 30 days. It might be a good idea to put it too the test.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Rainy. It's nice to have people to talk to, who won't judge me.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mindy1215 View Post
Thank you Scott for taking the time to respond to my post. Something is telling me I need to quit. I know it's not healthy and I want to be around to see some grandchildren one day. I've hidden it so well no one even knows I'm questioning my use (well I don't think they do). I've talked to my ex-boyfriend about it and he told me to just lay off the heavy stuff and stick to beer. Do I or don't I have a problem? I'm not sure, but i'm pretty sure I drink WAY TOO MUCH & WAY TOO OFTEN.
We can't tell you one way or the other, but if you think you have a problem you probably do - and you know best. I should say that I was in a similar situation like you before I quit. I was totally functional socially and had a good job, family etc. Towards the end though I started having lots of problems sleeping and i was starting to drink more than just in the evenings. And I just drank beer, never hard liquor - so "laying off the hard stuff" is really just a saying - alchohol is alcohol no matter what form you swallow it in. I was lucky enough to realize my problem before I lost my job or got a DUI or had blackouts...and I am very thankful. You have the opportunity to do the same - it's not easy but I can almost guarantee that you won't regret the decision if you make it.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am new And I am afraid as well. So I am reading the post that was sent to you so I can be encouraged
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I spent many years knowing I "should" quit, but not wanting to. I wish there was a switch that could flip that makes us commit fully and immediately once we sense we should.. but there isn't. It's pretty impossible to drink that much without any health problems cropping up, not to mention other problems, but only you will know when enough is enough. Stick around, there's tons of great information and support here!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DFU

I never had any of those things happen to me either. My sponsor called it my "not yet" list because it would've happened eventually. I'm actually very grateful that I was able to recognize my addiction and stop before many terrible things happened. I'm sure there are countless alcoholics right here on SR that would tell you the rock bottom they hit was devastating. When I start to daydream about drinking again, I remind myself that my days of casual, fun, social drinking ended a long time ago. You said you feel guilty, that indicates to me that you know what you're doing probably isn't right. "Normal" people don't drink like we do. Best of luck!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Mindy!

I'm glad you came here to talk about the effect alcohol is having on your life. It's good to reach out for suggestions and encouragement - and SR is a great place for that. We're happy you found us - I hope you'll find the help you're looking for.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't want to quit drinking either, just didn't want any of the consequences from it. But when I'd finally had enough of waking up hating myself I quit, and my life is so much better sober.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome to sr