Notices

Gotta keep posting ..sorry !!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gotta keep posting ..sorry !!

Hi, sorry to start two threads in a day but I am so grateful for the support I get from SR. Sitting in a hotel room (6.30pm .. The witching hour) in central Africa (here for my job) and trying (successfully I hope) not to drink. I am only on day 2 (of this particular attempt at stopping)...I am NOT going to drink tonight as :
-i will not be able to have just one (usually goes to 1-2 bottles of wine)
-I will feel like death tomorrow
-I have an important meeting to go to tomorrow
-It will be very expensive
-I am trying to lose weight and alcohol is v fattening
-My health will be wrecked
-I will get anxious and nervous ...
-I need to do this for my little boy (even tho he is not here )

OK those are my reasons for now .. Please feel free to comment or add.
Sorry to post so much but I think it is the only way to beat this.
Xxx
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't be sorry! If it keeps you from having a glass of wine (and then the bottle, and another...) then start 10 threads!

Glad you're here and thinking rationally, rather than giving in to temptation. I'm in Oregon, USA, a world away. But if you don't drink tonight, I will keep right there with ya.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ican,

I admire your strength. I have 81 days sober and I am here to tell you that it DOES GET BETTER!!! In 81 days my life is already so much better. My family talks to me again and I am back together with my husband. More then that, I am HAPPY. My head isnt so loud and im a lot calmer. It does get better!!

You need to know that there is a solution to your alcoholism. It is to go through the 12 steps of AA. All of your answers are in the book!! Get a sponsor who has been through the 12 steps. You can be done this in weeks!!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Icandothis2013, your name says it all! I was in Africa (will be 3 years ago this fall) and thank goodness I was sober. We even went on a wine tasting tour, so it can be done. Hang in there; I'll put this in my "subscribed" threads and try to check in often.

Think how you will feel if you wake up in the morning and can say "I am so happy I didn't drink yesterday."
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All thoughts of drinking are your Addictive Voice. It's a liar.

Just keep posting and reading here or what is something you CAN do? How about eating, taking a long shower?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ican, way to go on keeping on trying to quit. Just dont drink today or tonight. Dont worry about what happens tomorrow regarding that, just keep reminding yourself, dont drink today.... Why not get outside of yourself and outside of your hotel? Go for a walk, take in the sights, eat some ethnic food, take some pictures, go for a jog, buy something small but nice for your son, talk to local vendors, eat some tropical fruit, watch snake charmers, eat a fried scorpion, whatever? There is so much more to life than what misery can be found in a bottle....
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
Hi, sorry to start two threads in a day but I am so grateful for the support I get from SR. Sitting in a hotel room (6.30pm .. The witching hour) in central Africa (here for my job) and trying (successfully I hope) not to drink. I am only on day 2 (of this particular attempt at stopping)...I am NOT going to drink tonight as :
-i will not be able to have just one (usually goes to 1-2 bottles of wine)
-I will feel like death tomorrow
-I have an important meeting to go to tomorrow
-It will be very expensive
-I am trying to lose weight and alcohol is v fattening
-My health will be wrecked
-I will get anxious and nervous ...
-I need to do this for my little boy (even tho he is not here )

OK those are my reasons for now .. Please feel free to comment or add.
Sorry to post so much but I think it is the only way to beat this.
Xxx
I have the perfect story for you to read out of the AA Big Book.

Linked with Permission of AA World Services, inc

Chapter 3

Chapter - More About Alcoholism.

PS If you hit back arrow and scroll up on that page you have access to a complete audio AA Big Book. That will keep you busy.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here's a few more:
--Having a hangover in that heat is AWFUL.
--Having a hangover in that heat and sweating out booze is even worse because others DO smell it (I realized that afterwards when I could smell it on others).
--You will be so much more effective during your meeting without a hangover.
--Your little boy has a very brave momma who is doing amazing things for people in a part of the world that desperately needs her. Let that be the only thing that he thinks about when you are away from him now or in the future.
--You will not have to spend extra time trying to make the booze bill "disappear."
--Because you are awesome and you deserve to be sober and your job needs you to be 100%.

I can think of more but we can start there

Post as much as you like, I did the same and it helped a ton. I am around all day recovering from jet lag (not a hangover, thank god) so will be online to give you any support you need.

Paddling together...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Man - you can not travel to another continent for business and show up to a meeting hungover.

That simply can not happen.

You'll be operating at about 50% of your capacity and that is out of the question.

Tonight you don't drink - it doesn't mater if you have trouble sleeping either. Waaaay better to be tired than dragged out from alcohol.

Not tonight.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You guys are so awesome ! Thanks so much. !! Just went to the bar and ordered room service ( fish and vegetables and NO DRINK OF ANY SORT!! )Yay for me ! Will have water and nice cup of cocoa afterwards... You guys are right about not showing up for meetings hungover .. Here or indeed anywhere ...
if it's OK with y'all I'm going to keep on posting here as this seems to work very nicely :-)

Xx
Old 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep posting as much as you want.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We're hanging with you. Here in Annapolis MD., it is 3:21 PM. What time is it where you are? Cloudy here today...no boat brightwork varnishing (not sorry about that!).
Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is 8.30pm here... So far so good ...
nice cup of cocoa at my side :-)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See - u r almost there! You've got this - just think of great you'll be at thAt meeting tomorrow with a clear head! You are GREAT!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your winning!! :-)

Proud of you - doing ace !
Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Each bottle of wine has at LEAST 1,000 calories...you are effectively dieting without trying, it is almost painless.

Since you are in your room, try to relax your muscles with some gentle stretching and breathing. take a shower...and know that you will NOT smell funky at the meeting.

you start as many threads as you need to.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope this post finds you refreshed and awake and not hungover in the morning!!! Many of us travel frequently for work and it is HARD but there is nothing like the feeling of waking up in a hotel (or den of available sins as I like to call them!) and knowing you made it to the daylight sober!

Keep it up, you can do this...we are rooting for you and you've got the strength of thousands coming your way from all over the world.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yep I went to bed sober (yay!) and slept quite well (weird dreams) and am refreshed to start the day .. slightly foggy head though but apparently that's normal ...
Thanks for all your support !
I REALLY appreciate it. Please stick with me this evening so that I don't do anything daft !
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You won't do anything daft !..two days is already too much to waste!

Isn't it great waking up sober ?..yay! :-)

Well done you !!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wish I could be sure I won't do anything daft but I can't !!..I can spend the WHOLE DAY convincing myself I won't drink in the evening and then in a milli-second I throw all my reasoning out of the window and head to the bar as 'just one won't hurt' ....fast forward to two bottles later ... That's why I need you guys here with me tonight please .
Many thanks,
x