SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Binge Drinker, Need to Stop (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293815-binge-drinker-need-stop.html)

gettinhealthy 05-06-2013 09:49 AM

Binge Drinker, Need to Stop

I don't think I am an Alcoholic, but I know I have a drinking problem and I would like to stop. When I was younger (I am 29 years old now) I would drink every weekend, sometimes up to 18 beers in a night, at only 5'2" and 120 lbs :(

As I got older I've stopped drinking every weekend, sometimes I'll go 3 months without drinking, my problem is I am not someone who can just have a drink, or a few. I always plan to just go out for a few, and it ALWAYS turns into more.

Friday night I went out to some friends for some drinks. Ended up drinking around 10 drinks, plus shots, and smoking, which I quit 2 years ago (only used to smoke when I drank but I'd smoke a pack and make my self so sick)

Saturday I woke up with a really bad hangover as I always do. I was throwing up all day, not even able to keep water down (this is not new for me, this is always how I am after binge drinking) Finally stopped throwing up around 6 pm, wasn't able to eat at all that day though. Sunday was still feeling the effects and pretty much slept the day away. I feel like I am wasting so much of my life being sick from my drinking.

I also get really depressed after drinking for days, I still feel it today. I regreat things I did or said, feel like I made a complete a** of myself and don't want to see anyone.

I feel like if I cannot limit the amount I drink, I should not start at all in the first place, so I believe I need to quit all together. I know I'll be fine for a couple months but I do get these cravings to go out and drink, and I always tell myself that this time will be different, I'll be responsible this time, but I never am.

Itsmytime1234 05-06-2013 09:58 AM

Wow sounds like I'm reading an old thread of mine. I just did the same thing Saturday night and my girlfriend me because she's tired of me embarrassing her and driving home drunk. I'm devastated.... I need to quit doing this to myself and stop thinking oh this time will be different

Itsmytime1234 05-06-2013 09:59 AM

Left me*

gettinhealthy 05-06-2013 10:01 AM

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Jackie3 05-06-2013 10:05 AM

Ah I went through the same exact thing! Your story sounds just like mine. I'm on day 9 of being sober! I was also tired of blacking out, being embarrassed of myself, depressed, lost friends. Though I am only a little more than a week bein sober I see all the positive things coming from it. No more hangovers, regrets, days wasted! You can do it, stay strong and be positivite !

BikerAcct 05-06-2013 10:07 AM

I'm a binge drinker too, or rather was until about 29 days ago. Like you, I find that I can't have just one. So, I decided that I had to take alcohol off the table and just not have that first one.

It's good you are looking at solving this so young (to me anyway, I'm 52 and was binging since before I was your age). You've got a full wonderful life ahead of you.

Someone here said, and I have to agree, it's not the 5th, 6th, or 7th drink that makes me drunk. It's the first. So the only way to avoid it, is to avoid that first one.

Good luck to you.

gettinhealthy 05-06-2013 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BikerAcct (Post 3953163)

Someone here said, and I have to agree, it's not the 5th, 6th, or 7th drink that makes me drunk. It's the first. So the only way to avoid it, is to avoid that first one.

Good luck to you.

That is exactly what I need to remember. Thank you!

ZiggyB 05-06-2013 01:33 PM

Hi,
I used to do the same thing when I was younger.... then I made a decision to stop hanging out at bars and I never "go out for drinks" as a social activity. I definitely think it helps to find other things to do with your friends.