SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 year!!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293727-1-year.html)

reggiewayne 05-05-2013 05:54 PM

1 year!!!

Hi all,

I had a year a week ago. I don't come to this site very often anymore but this site was the first place I turned to years ago when alcohol was becoming a problem. So, I wanted to share the news.

I HAVE ONE YEAR OF BEING SOBER.

Those of you that are struggling, those of you that are hungover today, those of you that can't seem to string along more than a week or two of sobriety, hang in there. I was the exact same way.

The reality is I am, and have always been, the problem. Not my job, kids, God, wife, ex wife, boss', parents, siblings, etc... me. I am, and will always be the problem.

I drank at feelings even though I didn't realize it at the time. I drank because it was the only thing that ever made me feel complete. Nothing made me feel like drinking did. But the problem was when I drank I couldn't stop. So, what started out as a way to make me complete, turned out to be the thing that caused much of my problems. I was so ill-equipped to deal with "life on life's terms" I was stuck.

I had to find a way out. I went to AA and they told me that a higer power would fix my problem and I didn't belive it. They said God could do for me what I couldn't do for myself and I thought it was absurd. For years, I couldn't see God anywhere.... now I see God EVERYWHERE.

My perception of life was the problem. I only saw it through my on selfish / self centered glasses. It's said in AA when we have the awakening it's like seeing the world through a new pair of glasses - and that's how it is for me.

Getting and staying sober requires many things, but if I had to sum it up in one word it's about honesty. Honesty for me started with am I AN ALCOHOLIC? Yes or no?

It's said if you try and quit and can't stay stopped; and if you can't accurately predict how many drinks you're going to have in a given night, you're probably an alcoholic It's really that simple.... If the answer is yes, which in my case it was, then it's true forever and ever and ever and ever and ever... there is no going back.

That was the start for me... From there I got a sponsor. Started praying (even though I had no idea what I was praying to - still don't most of the time), worked the steps, and day by day it got better. I'd say somewhere around the 7 month mark the metal obsession of alcohol left me.

I would go through an entire weekend and not even think of drinking.

That truly is a miracle.

So, 1 year after I quit drinking I am happy to report that I am happy today. I am grateful. I am hopeful. I am sober.

Thank you SR for being the springboard I needed 6 years ago that started my road to receovery.

Best of luck everyone!!!

RW

neferkamichael 05-05-2013 06:01 PM

Reggiewayne, 1 year sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. :egypt:

chicory 05-05-2013 06:04 PM

What a beautiful post! how encouraging for others!

congratulations. I am so happy that you are happy! and sober. God bless you.

Pondlady 05-05-2013 06:04 PM

reggie, Congratulations, a year is a special achievement! I hope to celebrate that milestone myself, next month.

Anna 05-05-2013 06:07 PM

Reggie, be very proud of yourself!

Dee74 05-05-2013 06:09 PM

Congratulations Reggie :)

D

debsam 05-05-2013 06:12 PM

I can't believe it's been a year already :)

Wonderful post Reggie.

Sky5333 05-05-2013 06:13 PM

One year from now, I hope to be where you are today. Congratulations on your new wonderful life!

Hevyn 05-05-2013 07:08 PM

Great job, Reggie! Thanks for an inspiring post - I'm sure many people will feel hopeful after reading it.

Tamerua 05-05-2013 07:12 PM

Thanks for sharing!

SnwFlower 05-05-2013 07:18 PM

Congratulations Reggie! That is absolutely fantastic and you are a great inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing that awesome post. You made my day. :c015:

Committed 05-05-2013 07:39 PM

Congrats. I'm on day 41 today and just wondering what was your first three months like for you.

sugarbear1 05-05-2013 08:10 PM

Congratulations!

Weaver 05-05-2013 08:14 PM

Amazing!! Job well done.

1newcreation 05-05-2013 08:21 PM

CONGRATS Reggie!!! I'm sure you're excited & thrilled @ making it that long sober
I can't wait for mine next mth...speechless as to how I've made it thru a yr inspite all the pain & heartache
But you're rite...it does get easier & better

Opivotal 05-05-2013 08:36 PM

Big Congratulations Reggie! 1 year is terrific..keep up the great work.

:a122:

raku 05-05-2013 08:46 PM

Thanks for your post ! THAT IS INSPRIRATION !

raky

DG0409 05-05-2013 08:54 PM

:You_Rock_

YouRmySunshine 05-05-2013 09:51 PM

Congrats!

That is sooooo great!
Blessings!

Pedro1234 05-05-2013 10:03 PM

Thanks reggiewayne for sharing your story. I am 1/12th of the way towards where you are now and am inspired by such stories. I hope your life moving forward is full of joy and happiness which is the end result of your efforts. Keep us posted as you go :You_Rock_