Notices

What to expect post-withdrawal?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect post-withdrawal?

My boyfriend recently quit his three year addiction to oxycontin. He quit cold turkey and has been drug-free for about three weeks. He says he feels no emotion and talking to him is like talking to a shell... He also can get very irritable and tends to over-react to things occasionally...How long will it take for him to start feeling normal again??? Any experience/advice is helpful, thank you!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mandii

I have no personal experience with oxy withdrawal, so I have no experience to share...while I think it's true to say that it may take a little while to feel good again, do encourage him to hang in there...not using is definitely the right direction to be going in

D
Old 05-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He may need some support like NA. Even him visiting here and reading up may help him understand certain feelings that he's undergoing and that will arise. I wish you strength in helping him gain patience & clear sight through his sobriety. I look at my own addiction as many years in the making so know that it doesn't just get better overnight. It may take just as long as I fostered drinking to normalize my own emotions in which case will be at minimum a decade. It's been 3 year and 4 month from this side of the tracks since giving up on the addiction game.