Notices

Feeling sad

Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling sad

I'm 34 and decided to give up drugs and alcohol four months ago. I'm feeling guilty about how my addiction hurt my family and ashamed by my behavior. I guess this is a part of early recovery, but it's really bumming me out. Thanks for reading this. Brian
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cbsmith View Post
I'm 34 and decided to give up drugs and alcohol four months ago. I'm feeling guilty about how my addiction hurt my family and ashamed by my behavior. I guess this is a part of early recovery, but it's really bumming me out. Thanks for reading this. Brian
Aww cb, cheer up! I am so impressed you have 4 months clean. That is a miracle for us addicts. Put down the bat and stop beating yourself up. You keep doing the next right thing and staying clean you are gonna create new memories and days you can be proud of. We can't go changing the past and living in the past only prevents us from living today to make our future better. Now remember our families need to see consistent change but my family came around and I believe yours will to. It'll be ok. Cheer up now ok! Watch something funny! 13 Simple Steps To Get You Through A Rough Day - StumbleUpon
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Brian on giving up drugs and alcohol. Your family must be so proud of what you have achieved these past four months. You will get lot's of support from the members of SR.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

((Cb)) First off , congratulations on four months, thats awesome. You can't change the past , so don't spend another minute dwelling on it. Concentrate on today. Don't worry about tomorrow , its not here yet. Your family will benefit from your sobriety. Keep your head up. God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers. God Bless
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know how hard it is to get past those negative feelings, but you really must. I came close to allowing the shame and guilt to cause me to drink again. It was hard to work through it, but you can do it. I found journaling really helped me a lot, too.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Only my experience....

It's okay to feel bad, for awhile, about whom you may have hurt. "they" will find a way to forgive themselves and you for any indecretions. It matters what you do now, staying sober, and letting the world know you are feeling better !