SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm new here and could use some advice (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293708-im-new-here-could-use-some-advice.html)

agarne1 05-05-2013 01:32 PM

I'm new here and could use some advice

Hey there,

I am a 22 year old recent college graduate and I could use some advice on how to reorganize my life and get it back on track. I am not looking for pity or sympathy, i know that these things won' get you very far in life. I would like some advice or maybe solidarity from someone whose been in my position and managed to turn their life around. Let me tell you some back story so you will understand where I am coming from.

I have been addicted to narcotic prescription painkillers since I was 17, my senior year in high school following a lung surgery in which I was prescribed with Percocet for pain during recovery. Without knowing it, I was hooked and when I ran out I switched into abusing sleeping pills, pot, alcohol and otc cold medicine while abusing prescription painkillers on and off. I went from being a honor roll high school student to barely graduating college with a Bachelor's Degree in History.

I moved out of my parent's house at the end of the summer after I graduated to get away from the using friendly environment I was in and managed to stay off the painkillers for the time being. I returned to school but failed out the second semester because I couldn't bring myself to go to class. But my job was terrible and I lost my apartment and killed my credit in the process and now I live in a room in an old coworker's house. I returned to smoking pot very heavily during this time, but have cut down significantly.

So, what should I do? I have crappy credit, barely have a job, flunked out of school and am afraid I will not be able to get a job. Can anyone offer me advice as to where I should go from now on? Anything would be appreciated.

Anna 05-05-2013 01:38 PM

This is a good place to start.

Know for sure that you can pick yourself up and turn your life around. You will need to stop drinking and using drugs and then slowly work on the issues you face in your life. You may barely have a job now, but you can do the necessary work to get a good job. It will take some patience and some time, but you can start here today.

BrightFuture74 05-05-2013 01:51 PM

It's so hard to start to get better, but here you are. Recognizing that you don't like where you are now in life is the first step to digging yourself out of the hole. It may seem like an impossible task, but you CAN do it. First thing you have to do is stop using. You already know that. It took me losing my home, job, and physical well being to finally realize that I was making every excuse to continue to use. You are in the right place!

agarne1 05-05-2013 01:54 PM

Thank you BrightFuture74, but do you think I can actually do it? I feel like I've messed up my life very badly already and I don't know if I can get it back together. I don't want to sacrifice my social life and going to the bars but I know that what I'm doing isn't working right now. I can see my possible future but I don't know what to do.

least 05-05-2013 03:49 PM

:welcome You don't want to sacrifice your social life, going to bars, yet alcohol has cost you dearly. I don't think that doing without that bad stuff would be a real sacrifice, more like a smart move.:)

saminmi 05-05-2013 04:00 PM

Hey

The best thing you have going for you is that you are only 22. You have a whole beautiful life to live.

Start a diary, write down your thoughts and work hard to get successful. When you do become successful and are narcotics/alcohol free, please read about the struggles because it is easy to forget them.

Wish you the best of luck

Improve your situation, one day at a time

agarne1 05-05-2013 05:01 PM

That is true but I am scared that I am going to continually make the same mistakes I made in the past and stay stuck in the vicious cycle. It really makes me nervous and makes me want to use.

Mizzuno 05-05-2013 05:14 PM

I can see myself in a lot of what you write. By saying that you can see your self stuck in the vicious cycle, and that makes you want to use, is keeping you in the vicious cycle of using and going around in circles. There are many things that can be changed that can stop this. Stopping the use, and putting one foot in front of the other is going to lead you into a place of change. This is not easy. The one thing that you do have going for you is that you are 22. Now, you have said that you dont have a great job. Well, start looking for another job while you are employed. Stay positive and reach for anything and everything that is positive. Make the change. It will happen as long as you do it. We are here for support and encouragement. You do not have to stay stuck in all of this. The bar is not a place for anyone who has a problem with Alcohol or drugs. There are plenty of activities that people are involved in that do not involve alcohol and drugs. I know that you can do this. The important thing is that you know that you can do this. One day at a time.

BrightFuture74 05-05-2013 06:15 PM

Agarne-

YES I know you can do it! When I was strung out on meth, I had my house foreclosed on, lost everything I owned, lost friends, family, job, and looked like a walking zombie. I resorted to selling drugs and working at a strip club to make money. I am now a successful professional in the corporate world, a mother to two wonderful kids, and in a healthy relationship. Granted, I am now facing alcohol demons- but I am nipping this in the bud before it grabs a hold of me like meth did. I know it seems like if you can just keep using one more day it might be easier to start recovery tomorrow. But today is the day. You will feel so good on the other side!

BrightFuture74 05-05-2013 06:21 PM

One more thing- As far as social life, that is my struggle also. I constantly have to go to business dinners and events where the alcohol flows freely. You just have to be strong and accept the fact that you can't partake. Get a sparkling water with a lemon wedge and enjoy the event sober. I know that I can't just have one or two glasses of wine. The alternative is getting drunk, which never ends well. You just can't do it. It will not ruin your social life. Your real friends will understand and support you.